Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Phoronix: The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Last week I bought the ASUS Transformer Book T100TA, which is one of the first Intel "Bay Trail" devices in the United States. At a cost of $399 USD, it isn't as cheap as some Bay Trail devices talked up by Intel, but I was eager to see how the "Valley View" graphics would perform and all-around how this Atom SoC would run under Linux. Sadly, the ASUS T100TA appears to be a crap wreck at this point for running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully it isn't like this for other Bay Trail ultraportables. Otherwise, my plan of getting a Linux friendly ultra-mobile device is going to be postponed.

Comment

It's a long shot but...

Not sure if you have run into this before, but on my wife's Acer I had to put in a BIOS password for all options before it would let me turn off the secure boot and then put UEFI back to legacy bios, but at that point Linux installed like a charm. Not sure if the Asus even has that option, can't tell from the screens in the article. Like I said, still a long shot...Good luck. Just read online, no legacy options. Damn.

BTW your captcha to register is terrible to navigate, the images suck to i.d.

Comment

Welcome to the world of firmware issues, where companies keep releasing super broken firmware.

One thing to try is to replace Windows' bootmgfw.efi with the GRUB2 one. Although doing that off Windows itself might not work all that well...

Comment

Glad to know this, I was seriously thinking of picking one up, but it's sad it's such crap.

Comment

I'm a lot more interested to know if Asus is going to release a native Android for it.

This thing is meant to be a tablet - it's not a laptop for Linux.

With just 2GB (there's no way to expand it) of RAM T100 is useless both for Windows 8 and for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              With just 2GB of RAM T100 is useless both for Windows 8 and for Linux.
              Nonsense. That's more than enough RAM for using Linux (and probably Windows 8 as well) to do tasks you would do on a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I'm a lot more interested to know if Asus is going to release a native Android for it.

This thing is meant to be a tablet - it's not a laptop for Linux.

With just 2GB (there's no way to expand it) of RAM T100 is useless both for Windows 8 and for Linux.
                Fire up a puppy

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Last week I bought the ASUS Transformer Book T100TA, which is one of the first Intel "Bay Trail" devices in the United States. At a cost of $399 USD, it isn't as cheap as some Bay Trail devices talked up by Intel, but I was eager to see how the "Valley View" graphics would perform and all-around how this Atom SoC would run under Linux. Sadly, the ASUS T100TA appears to be a crap wreck at this point for running Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5NzE
                  don't give up

I managed to get ubuntu booting to command line via grub x86 EFI (ia32)

[4 April 2014]I haven't had time to play with my device or update fully the info in this post Jhong2 has an updated post on how to get ubuntu working on the Asus T100 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51291244&postcount=181...

Comment

Can't you netboot?

Comment

Working...
                    X