No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The performance advantage of Windows over Linux in the GPUTest Furmark and Pixmark is almost exactly a factor of two. This holds across all graphics cards from both vendors.

This suggests it's some sort of weird artifact of GPUTest rather than Win vs linux drivers. Submitting batches twice as large or something strange.

Comment

Okay not to sound ignorant but I watched some reviews. To me it looks my XBOX 360 raped my Android phone and spat out the Windows 8.1 UI.

Comment

AFAIK GpuTest has no source code available. You can't trust a benchmark with no source code. It might be favoring one platform over the others. For me, the tests of open source games are far more important, and in those there is not a big difference (at least for Nvidia, AMD's blob is another story).

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          Same. You can use the Windows 8 interface only with a mouse or a touchpad, you got no chance with using it via keyboard. Gnome Shell/Gnome3 on the other hand can be used by keyboard, by mouse or by a combination of both of them. It's superior to most interfaces out there by a large margin.
          Gnome3 being completely useless with keyboard was the reason I abandoned it. Unity restores the balance here.

Comment

dota2

i tried playing dota2 on linux. it's basically unplayable on radeon 7850 even with the binary drivers.

it's also extremely slow to start. but it's just too laggy, and cumbersome. smooth on windows.

i actually found the desktop very slow when i first tried the new ubuntu, as it was using open source drivers. but the desktop is "okay" with binary drivers. it's kind of slow to search for terminal and stuff, but as soon as i went to my normal desktop window manager it goes faster than windows, but that doesn't seem to work well with steam. (something about the way steam does it's full screen stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
              i tried playing dota2 on linux. it's basically unplayable on radeon 7850 even with the binary drivers.

it's also extremely slow to start. but it's just too laggy, and cumbersome. smooth on windows.

i actually found the desktop very slow when i first tried the new ubuntu, as it was using open source drivers. but the desktop is "okay" with binary drivers. it's kind of slow to search for terminal and stuff, but as soon as i went to my normal desktop window manager it goes faster than windows, but that doesn't seem to work well with steam. (something about the way steam does it's full screen stuff)
              A 6850 here, r600g plays dota2 perfectly fine here and desktop performance is waaaaaay better with the open source driver than they are with catalyst. desktop performance on catalyst is flat out terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                A 6850 here, r600g plays dota2 perfectly fine here and desktop performance is waaaaaay better with the open source driver than they are with catalyst. desktop performance on catalyst is flat out terrible.
                interesting. i'd like to be able to play dota2 well in linux. what window manager are you using? does it load fast? i think radeon 7000 series is extra bad with the open source stuff, it didn't work at all for ages.

i have a radeon 6450 that doesn't work with open source at all for some reason. i'd rather use open source drivers. i found radeon 6450 kind of playable if i set settings and resolution down (like 1280x720 with some settings down kind of worked, but the game doesn't work well in that resolution. windows was a lot faster.

both monitors are 2560x1440 native which may be why radeon 6450 wasn't working with open source drivers.

Comment

Too bad you are still using these not very demanding games for benchmarking. I would like to see some more demanding games used for benchmarking. Steam and Source engine are available on GNU/Linux and phoronix is still using Openarena for benchmarking, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    Too bad you are still using these not very demanding games for benchmarking. I would like to see some more demanding games used for benchmarking. Steam and Source engine are available on GNU/Linux and phoronix is still using Openarena for benchmarking, lol.
                    It'd be very handy if Dota added an easy way to benchmark consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                      It'd be very handy if Dota added an easy way to benchmark consistently.
                      you can measure FPS in dota2, no problem. There's a -dev launch flag that adds a dev console. I'm just not sure how well it plays with Phoronix's testing suite, if at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X