Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    Same. You can use the Windows 8 interface only with a mouse or a touchpad, you got no chance with using it via keyboard.
    Lol you serious? Ive found they keyboard to always be needed to do things quickly on Windows or Linux, and Windows 8/8.1 are no exception. The keyboard makes accessing the newer features (ie charms bar) a fair bit faster using Start-C than using your mouse.

The (OS specific) shortcuts I use a whole heap is when searching, Start-Q to search (Or Start then type) and Start-W for settings search, and Start-F for file search. Alot nicer than just having once search, but a huge pain to use with a mouse (Requires you to stop typing, use the mouse to switch categories, and perhaps continue typing) and ok with touch.

To say you can't use it with a keyboard is IMO ridiculous, and brings me to question your experience using a Windows OS (most shortcuts have been with windows for a while, I can recall about 6 or 7 new ones for Win 8/8.1, and NONE that have been removed)
    Last edited by zeealpal; 27 October 2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Windows did a lot better there than I thought it would.

Comment

Win 8 UI doesn't seem that hard to create... it's just a fullscreen HTML5 overlay on top of the Windows 7 style desktop isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          Completely nothing. Windows 8 market share is far beyond win7 and xp.
          Lolwut? Win8 just broke 8%. Win7 has 46%, and is growing faster than win8.

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/01/win...-in-september/

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Win 8 UI doesn't seem that hard to create... it's just a fullscreen HTML5 overlay on top of the Windows 7 style desktop isn't it?
            Huh? o.O Not even close
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What does gputest actually do and another question.

So, what does gputest do, and how does it do it? With the radeon drivers it's normal to see it getting trounced by the catalyst drivers yet when it comes to actual games the results are far closer. Similarly, windows seems to be consistently ahead by a great margin with the various gputests but the gaming results are, again, much closer.
              What's going on with the gtx680? Linux is consistently performing a good deal better on that card than w8.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Huh? o.O Not even close
                Well that was just my impression, I dont know the actual technical details of it. I had the impression it was in a similar vein to Gnome-Shell - using "web" technologies for the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  More like the other way round. The Win7 style desktop is actually an application that can be launched from ModernUI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    Too bad it's just a wishful thinking.
                    sorry, but it's a fact. There is no interface that's easier to use and at the same time being more versatile as to how you want to use it. Maybe Unity, but I consider that a bad ripoff of GnomeShell.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                      sorry, but it's a fact. There is no interface that's easier to use and at the same time being more versatile as to how you want to use it. Maybe Unity, but I consider that a bad ripoff of GnomeShell.
                      It's fairly subjective though.

Comment

Working...
                      X