Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Given the recent release of Microsoft Windows 8.1, at Phoronix we took 13 different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards and compared the performance between Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8.1 with the same hardware and set of OpenGL games/benchmarks. For AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards with their official drivers, the performance is largely similar between the competing desktop operating systems but there are some performance exceptions.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It should have been W8.1 vs linux kernel 3.12, that would be interesting, at least for radeon cards.
    btw, I still want to see free driver vs catalyst driver.

Comment

You could also throw OS X into the mix. Linux and Windows would eat it for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        ... Anyway great work Canonical. Holding on par with a huge corporation like Microsoft takes some work....
        I'm not sure what work I would credit Canonical with for performance, I would grant that perhaps their popularity helps companies to expend more resources into driver quality though.

.... Windows 8.1 interface may suck for some people, but it's still leaps and bounds beyond anything Linux.
        I know I'm going to regret this but what exactly is so great about Windows 8 interface? No seriously, I am asking because I don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          I know I'm going to regret this but what exactly is so great about Windows 8 interface? No seriously, I am asking because I don't use it.
          Completely nothing. Windows 8 market share is far beyond win7 and xp.

Comment

I'm not sure what work I would credit Canonical with for performance, I would grant that perhaps their popularity helps companies to expend more resources into driver quality though.

Same. You can use the Windows 8 interface only with a mouse or a touchpad, you got no chance with using it via keyboard. Gnome Shell/Gnome3 on the other hand can be used by keyboard, by mouse or by a combination of both of them. It's superior to most interfaces out there by a large margin.

Comment

Ubuntu holds up pretty well. Windows 8.1 hasn't really matured so we can probably expect some performance improvements, but nothing significant. Anyway great work Canonical. Holding on par with a huge corporation like Microsoft takes some work. Now if only they can work out an interface that works as well at that from Microsoft. Windows 8.1 interface may suck for some people, but it's still leaps and bounds beyond anything Linux.
              There are only two markets where microsoft is usually better than Linux: desktop and office. In any other market Linux just owns it. Windows 8.1 interface is terrible in comparison to KDE and other more classical Linux desktops. I even prefer Unity and Gnome Shell over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                It's superior to most interfaces out there by a large margin.
                Too bad it's just a wishful thinking.

Comment

Nothing. I have used both (Windows 8.1 and Windows 8... I need to support people using it). Especially Windows 8.1 introduced some problems again. The new scope-like search is kinda interesting in Windows 8.1, but I think it is more fitting on a tablet. Ubuntu has done a better job (when just watching the interface).

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    Same. You can use the Windows 8 interface only with a mouse or a touchpad, you got no chance with using it via keyboard. Gnome Shell/Gnome3 on the other hand can be used by keyboard, by mouse or by a combination of both of them. It's superior to most interfaces out there by a large margin.
                    EHHH... Seriously, for me it works EXACTLY the same as Gnome 3 :
                    - 1. Press windows key
                    - 2. Type first letters of the software you wanna launch
                    - 3. Press enter or move up - down using keys if it's not the first result

Comment

Working...
                    X