What Do You Wish Was In Mesa 10.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Wish Was In Mesa 10.0?

Phoronix: What Do You Wish Was In Mesa 10.0?

While there's many new features for Mesa 10.0, it's far from being feature complete and there's still many features that Linux desktop users would love to see added...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the problems with mesa is that it takes too long for normal users to receive the updates. Now that they are working on a 3 month release cadence, it would be very useful if they would host a PPA that we could use to stay more up to date.

Comment

I just want this fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69341
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
        One of the problems with mesa is that it takes too long for normal users to receive the updates. Now that they are working on a 3 month release cadence, it would be very useful if they would host a PPA that we could use to stay more up to date.
        Releasing packages for your distro is task for distro developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
          If you want to use the latest packages switch to a rolling release distro. I use Arch and am very happy with it.

Regarding the original question: I would like RadeonSI to be improved (performance parity with r600g would be nice!), and both r600g and RadeonSI supporting Opengl 3.3.

Comment

An easy to use GUI control panel

Mesa is becoming a major well supported graphics library/driver platform. All major modern driver platforms have easy to use and configurable GUIs with all of the bells and whistles. Check boxes for this and that, controls and functions for other things, information about everything you could ever want to know visualized.

With Mesa now having full 3.x capability across the board(only individual drivers having to catch up), I wish the Mesa crew would make re-writing, updating, or replacing DRIConf a top priority. Radeon-profile could make a good potential candidate, but I really don't care which path is chosen just as long as a configuration tool becomes an active part of Mesa.

Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 27 October 2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Speed

Performance parity with the proprietary drivers.
              If you have complete opengl coverage but it is still as slow as molasses, you still can't use it.

Comment

Repeating myself as I posted this in another thread, but...

Some features I'd like to see in the VDPAU state tracker:

High quality deinterlacing: DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL and DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL

High quality scaling: HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L1 (even this would be enough which is all my nvidia card supports)

Not sure if these are strictly nvidia hardware based or if it can be done on Radeon hardware as well.

I'd like to see triple buffered vsync for all of the Mesa drivers as well. Yeah it takes more memory but it's superior to regular vsync when performance is needed (and tends to lower input lag a bit as well)

Comment

I dont think such a gui thing should be have a high priority. Dont waste developer time by doing such stuff, supporting more opengl-levels getting more speed etc fixing more bugs... is way more important.

If they find someone who is incapible or unwilling to do low level stuff yes of course he can build such tools or make a existing one better, but please dont waste time from low-level devs onto this task.

And another thing having such stuff than randr (I know thats not mesa) console tool or protocolls is ok... but the guis should not be developed by mesa devs. For randr canonical gnome and others made their stuff like they wanted. So why not the same approach for mesa stuff?

And another thing if its about settings, mesa devs desite which features they think are stable enough to enable it, and they are maybe pretty conservative about it, but here again distros could use other default settings... as example if you have a modern desktop os with mostly users with newer hardware change the defaults to more risky settings. And try to find out if it crashes or give another secure boot option or something...

if you develop more the drivers itself instead of gui tools even the conservative default will changed faster, or you get better results with the same defaults.

I also think that driver development is no constant process, there are phases where over long time for the enduser u dont see much improvement than suddenly all falls together and some new features can come very fast all together like we seen this year. And especialy if you replace most of your codebase gallium instead of classic drivers kms etc... and now wayland... at some point this plattform is completly changed and you dont need to manage so much different code bases.

And the todo list gets smaller yes if you only look at the opengl level supports... it maybe come at the same rate new versions out than older ones get support, but on the other fields stuff gets done and is then basicly off the todo list, you have to one time develop fan-frequency-controlls (yes that also needs a bit maintance and maybe some other love but the most is done) and the vdpau stuff is done... the developers that made this will now have to waste way less time on this sectors so other sectors could be focused now harder maybe, like opengl support as example.

Comment

I can't wait for the Clover Gallium3D state tracker for OpenCL compute to be finished. I'd love to run FAH natively using radonsi. Currently FAH only supports native linux gpu folding on Nvidia because the Catalyst drivers are too buggy.
                    Odds are in the open driver's favor as to which gets done first.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X