Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    Like i said

But i have seen stuff like this happen. My Dell D630 had its mobo replaced, my collegue's Lenovo R61 had its mobo replaced (both were used in proper conditions, no gaming or anything and the bios didnt report very high temps) and i have seen many other laptops that had burnt chips. Thats the reality. If you have laptops that work 24/7, good for you, but thats not the norm for everyone else.
    I'm afraid not because I've never seen this happen on any machine I've worked on in the past. It's even taught in A+ courses that such is not possible. If such is to happen, the company could be sued for having improper cooling. The only other way for that to happen is the user is obstructing the cooling to the system. Even then, machines today are designed to have the BIOS shutoff the system if temperatures are too high.
    Last edited by mmstick; 30 December 2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Many laptops need to be regularly blown free of dist

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
      Like i said

But i have seen stuff like this happen. My Dell D630 had its mobo replaced, my collegue's Lenovo R61 had its mobo replaced (both were used in proper conditions, no gaming or anything and the bios didnt report very high temps) and i have seen many other laptops that had burnt chips. Thats the reality. If you have laptops that work 24/7, good for you, but thats not the norm for everyone else.
      My sister's laptop was always running hot when she came over to visit, always cool after I blew out the dust from the cooler ports. I taught her how to keep it clean, now it doesn't run hot anymore. Desktops too: I've seen a Pentium 4 Prescott chip die after running an unknown amount of time with a totally blocked heatsink. Yes, I've seen a Core2 Quad survive booting with NO heatsink at all, but no doubt it was throttling way back to control heat. Long enough runtime on the threshold of issues-even below the throtting point- can speed up electromigration and finish off an old chip. If this was not true, chips overclocked right to the limit and runnning hot would last just as long as stock-clocked chips, and just as often. I do overclock, but not to the the voltage limits and always with enough cooler to stay under stock temps. Still had an Athlon 64 gradually lose speed capability over a few years, hope my FX-8120 does not do much of that.

Comment

Hehe, the thread seemed to derail there somewhat. :P

Have there been any updates on this? Can anyone here explicitly confirm that they've tested it & it works? And even if it does; given that apparently nvidia hardware can't do this, is it likely that it would actually get accepted in upstream mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
          Hehe, the thread seemed to derail there somewhat. :P

Have there been any updates on this? Can anyone here explicitly confirm that they've tested it & it works? And even if it does; given that apparently nvidia hardware can't do this, is it likely that it would actually get accepted in upstream mesa?
          Someone wrote me an email. Told he would be a video programmer and had lots of clue in this direction. I gave him all the Code and added what is left to do .... never heard anything back of him. I am super busy with xbmc currently and won't have any time the next months to make these patches ready for the different departments.

Comment

Hello everyone, we have news on the decoding hi10p by the gpu?
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X