Windows 8.1 vs. Linux Benchmark Results Are Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Doesn't matter as I won't run a "Hackintosh" for legal reasons plus such a hardware combination in the real world being incredibly rare. If the current Linux desktop marketshare is 1.5~3%, maybe 0.0001% of people are Hackintosh fans? PTS does have full support for Darwin / OS X though.
    It would not be a review of "Hackintosh". It would be a comparison between the main OS'es.
    Installing Mavericks on a pc, rather than on an official Mac shouldn't affect the performances I think.
    So it would be a good comparison.

And it would be of interest for everyone, since I guess many are wondering how Linux, Windows 8.1 and OSX performs on the same hardware.

I know PTS is compatible with OSX since I enjoyed your comparisons between the main os'es in the past.

@Apopas: apparently because I can't say for sure. I just read some review about Mavericks on arstechnica and some other site, and that's what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Doesn't matter as I won't run a "Hackintosh" for legal reasons plus such a hardware combination in the real world being incredibly rare. If the current Linux desktop marketshare is 1.5~3%, maybe 0.0001% of people are Hackintosh fans? PTS does have full support for Darwin / OS X though.
      Software tied to Hardware clauses have NO legal stance at least in Poland.
      If You own OSX you can install it on anything You own including toaster

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Software tied to Hardware clauses have NO legal stance at least in Poland.
        If You own OSX you can install it on anything You own including toaster
        That's what common sense says. Unfortunately, common sense is not a rule worlwide.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
          @Apopas: apparently because I can't say for sure. I just read some review about Mavericks on arstechnica and some other site, and that's what they say.
          Possibly then. Not apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Windows 8.1 vs. Linux Benchmark Results Are Coming

Coming as soon as later today will be benchmark results comparing the performance of Microsoft Windows 8.1 against Linux in various graphics-focused workloads for Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5NTE
            Hi Michael, I think Ubuntu Unity is bloated.

Personally I prefer the LXDE desktop environment, however GNOME and KDE are decent in performance too.

That's why, I think it will be better if you run the benchmarks on Lubuntu, or Ubuntu GNOME, or Kubuntu.

I think Unity is junk performance-wise, and Unity 7 that is available in Ubuntu so far, has been dropped from development after all, since they are preparing Unity 8 for Mir.

So, since Unity 7 has been dropped from active development, I think it should not be used as the primary Linux benchmark.

Comment

I would like to see OS overhead tests, but I don't know if PTS has any. For example, is thread creation now cheaper in 8.1 than in 7, that kind of things.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                GPU comparison using Steam games, like Team Fortress 2.
                Source engine does not rely on GPU all that much. Source engine is heavily CPU intensive.

Comment

Working...
                X