Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch BSD Is Still Around & Keeping It Simple

Phoronix: Arch BSD Is Still Around & Keeping It Simple

At the beginning of the year I wrote about a new project, Arch BSD, that aims to have Arch Linux powered atop the FreeBSD kernel. Arch BSD strives to be a lightweight and flexible BSD distribution that tries to "Keep It Simple" and nearly one year later the project is still kicking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    Starch Linux that pairs an OpenBSD kernel with the Arch user-space
    No, it's Linux kernel and musl/busybox statically linked user-space.

Comment

Hahahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Two of the worst cancers together in one product: Arch and BSD. How low can these people go? Are they on par with Windows 3.11 yet? Hahahaha!
        The real question do you even have any real world experience with either OS, to be making any valid evaluation?

I'm guessing little to none... 1 - Archlinux is often shipping newer versions of software than ubuntu (so would that mean Ubuntu = < Windows 3.1???)...and before you go off on how Archlinux isn't as freindly as Ubuntu, commandline, manual configuration, bla bla bla... It's not supposed to be geared towards inexperienced noobs or Windows users like yourself who need hand-holding or expect Arch to be something that it's not intended to be... It's generally for the more technically-minded, do-it-yourself-types and those who want to build their own system, top to bottom. (and for that kind of user, Archlinux is very flexible and probably one of the better choices out there, as far as Linux distros go). So really, any point you would make on that is entirely moot / pointless...

2 - What BSDs have you used for any extended period of time and when were you using them??? I Ask, because although i am not a big fan of BSD - i do have a few years of experience running it (in the 2000s) and BSD isn't nearly as bad as you paint it out to be. I get the impression that it may be likely that you've never even used BSD - so why even comment, if that's the case?? I don't think BSD is as competative with Linux,as it used to be, but it's still got some unique and powerful features.

3 - Neither is "Cancer" in any shape or form, if anything - you are much closer to being the "worst cancer" when it comes to these forums. All you do is come here to troll. You have very little to no understanding in almost any subject / post that you have ever written in these forums... All you are here to do is troll, shit all over projects (and thus developers) and talk-shit like you are some authority on Operating systems, linux, etc...which it's pretty obvious by what you write that you, in fact, never know what you are talking about in the slightest.
        Last edited by ninez; 24 October 2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Two of the worst cancers together in one product: Arch and BSD. How low can these people go? Are they on par with Windows 3.11 yet? Hahahaha!
          A cancer? Oh deary me-- interesting term. I'll just substitute 'awful product' for 'cancer' since neither Arch nor BSD seem to be even remotely related to a carcinoma.

Why not give them a shot? Also, what's wrong with them? I'm not overly keen on Arch, though I can see its uses, but I quite like BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            The real question do you even have any real world experience with either OS, to be making any valid evaluation?

I'm guessing little to none... 1 - Archlinux is often shipping newer versions of software than ubuntu (so would that mean Ubuntu = < Windows 3.1???)...and before you go off on how Archlinux isn't as freindly as Ubuntu, commandline, manual configuration, bla bla bla... It's not supposed to be geared towards inexperienced noobs or Windows users like yourself who need hand-holding or expect Arch to be something that it's not intended to be... It's generally for the more technically-minded, do-it-yourself-types and those who want to build their own system, top to bottom. (and for that kind of user, Archlinux is very flexible and probably one of the better choices out there, as far as Linux distros go). So really, any point you would make on that is entirely moot / pointless...

2 - What BSDs have you used for any extended period of time and when were you using them??? I Ask, because although i am not a big fan of BSD - i do have a few years of experience running it (in the 2000s) and BSD isn't nearly as bad as you paint it out to be. I get the impression that it may be likely that you've never even used BSD - so why even comment, if that's the case?? I don't think BSD is as competative with Linux,as it used to be, but it's still got some unique and powerful features.

3 - Neither is "Cancer" in any shape or form, if anything - you are much closer to being the "worst cancer" when it comes to these forums. All you do is come here to troll. You have very little to no understanding in almost any subject / post that you have ever written in these forums... All you are here to do is troll, shit all over projects (and thus developers) and talk-shit like you are some authority on Operating systems, linux, etc...which it's pretty obvious by what you write that you, in fact, never know what you are talking about in the slightest.
            Good job wasting 5 minutes of your life on a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Good job wasting 5 minutes of your life on a troll.
              less than five (and i was multitasking) no biggie... but you're right - I should just add that little puke to my block list...

cheerz

Comment

You're seriously ignorant and deluded, you clearly don't understand Arch or BSD enough to make a statement like that. I'm not a fanboy, don't get me wrong I like Ubuntu as well, but your statement is nonsensical. Different distros and platforms have different uses... respect what each has to offer.

The only cancer our community has is people who make false claims like you.

Comment

Is it your first time on the internet? He was clearly joking.

Comment

All I ask for is a straight-up comparison between Arch BSD and the currently popular *BSD distros (FreeBSD, etc) :/

EDIT: also, I wondered if Arch BSD is related to Arch Linux at all (Same devs or anything?). I tried to ask the Arch community but the mods deleted my post for not being about Vanilla Arch *shrug*

Comment

Working...
                    X