Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

Phoronix: Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

AMD today has officially launched the Radeon R9 290X "Hawaii" graphics card that currently serves as their top of the line Rx 200 series GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the first real new card out of the new R7 and R9 series, but it still isn't too far away from GCN 1.0/1.1, so that radeonsi should be able to get simply extended like with r600g and HD 4000 -> HD 5000 I would guess.

Comment

The AMD Radeon R9 290X have a really shitty cooler on the reference design so it is very loud and noisy.
      All partner manufacturers who made AMD Radeon R9 290X so far use the reference design.

The price for the AMD Radeon R9 290X is competitively priced and its a good price compared to other graphics cards.

Pros: Price and performance.
      Cons: Noisy cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        The AMD Radeon R9 290X have a really shitty cooler on the reference design so it is very loud and noisy.
        All partner manufacturers who made AMD Radeon R9 290X so far use the reference design.

The price for the AMD Radeon R9 290X is competitively priced and its a good price compared to other graphics cards.

ComputerBase says the card is not noisy with the default BIOS mode. Of course that changes when you enable that "Uber Mode".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

but does it blend ?.... I mean work on linux?

Comment

German computer news heise.de (quite serious) said that it performed really well, even against the biggest NV Titan, for about half the price. But that was for DX11, OpenGL was more bumpy. So the usual: ATI blob folks just seem to have problems with opengl. Grrrr.
            Fans get noisy in the mentioned "?ber Modus" and power consumption is not really a certain figure yet.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Micheal, if you acted more like a journalist rather than a tabloid that posts articles that little more than summaries of git commits they might be willing to send you hardware. As long as you stick to your link bating sorry excuses for articles and benchmarks no one is going to take you seriously enough to send hardware other than to sucker up to you to get reviews. Making comments like "AMD's marketing/PR department has again found it not important to cater to any Linux enthusiasts" just makes you sound petty and does nothing to help your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
                Micheal, if you acted more like a journalist rather than a tabloid that posts articles that little more than summaries of git commits they might be willing to send you hardware. As long as you stick to your link bating sorry excuses for articles and benchmarks no one is going to take you seriously enough to send hardware other than to sucker up to you to get reviews. Making comments like "AMD's marketing/PR department has again found it not important to cater to any Linux enthusiasts" just makes you sound petty and does nothing to help your case.
                It's a lot easier to act like a journalist when given products to review.

Of course Michael should point out that AMD does not provide him with any material! They already get a lot of publicity from his reviews; he is the only person benchmarking graphics card on Linux, most Linux gamers wouldn't even consider getting one of their cards without his data that shows how decent they are. I strongly support AMD but I sure as heck am not going to blindly purchase a card with no idea whatsoever of how it performs against a similarly priced NVidia GPU.

I can't think of any way he could be nicer to AMD, he buys their product retail even though they don't support him at all, offer them the only publicity Linux users get, and he isn't even really bashing them! He is offering them pure profit, sending him a sample of some graphic cards is nothing compared to what goes into the salary of the marketing department and even their Linux drivers developers, yet they are pretty much wasting those salaries by not giving Linux users any incentive to purchase their cards.
                You on the other hand just sound like an unappreciative jerk. The content Michael creates for this website is very valuable and informative to myself and many others, and I couldn't thank him enough for all the efforts he puts into it.

Comment

This kind of bullcrap is why you can't like either gpu vendor. Nvidia hates open source and likes not letting you know how your grand graphics card actually works, and AMD are effectively throwing crumbs at the problem.

I guess our pocketbooks just aren't big enough to matter to them yet. It is too bad that Valve is suckering up to Nvidia, and that AMD are missing the steambox train entirely.

Oh well, I'll be gaming on Intel for a while. WTB Crystalwell desktop parts, and opengl 4.

Comment

As far as I remember they sent stuff before but after some, well, internal structural changes some contact persons were probably not in the same place. At least that might be a good guess.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X