Thread: Intel Mesa Driver Boosts Valve's Dota 2 Performance

Default Intel Mesa Driver Boosts Valve's Dota 2 Performance

Phoronix: Intel Mesa Driver Boosts Valve's Dota 2 Performance

In the latest code hitting the mainline Mesa Git tree is an Intel Mesa DRI driver improvement that can provide for significant performance improvements with Valve's popular Dota 2 online battle arena game...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5Mzc

Hi, r600g has had this optimization for quite a while and it will soon come to radeonsi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    it will soon come to radeonsi as well.
    Nice to hear that, unfortunately after 4 years I had to switch back to fglrx: too many bugs in SI.

nice, but on what hardware was this tested?

In general nice, I welcome every performance improvement in Dota in general. Unfortunately Mesa > 9.1.x is unusable here in Dota, because it triggers https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54226 very often during a game. Luckily, with Mesa 9.1 this happens seldom. So I will stick with the 9.1 releases until a miracle will happen, which solves the bug

So ehm, can this "test map" be used in PTS as a benchmark?

8% is great, but what is the actual FPS? Going from 10 to 11 FPS is also a 10% jump.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    8% is great, but what is the actual FPS? Going from 10 to 11 FPS is also a 10% jump.
    Err, did you have ever run Dota 2 ? Then you would know that it has really low requirements. You can also play it with a Sandybridge with good settings. It's also possible to play it with older Intel generations, but I recommend Windows then.

Either try it yourself but stop hating other's work.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    Nice to hear that, unfortunately after 4 years I had to switch back to fglrx: too many bugs in SI.
    That's unfortunate... I've recently been getting back into Eve, and my 7850 using radeonsi runs it just fine in Wine... Gnome-Shell is rock solid as well. If there's specific games that caused issues for you, bug reports are always welcome.

Also, the git llvm/clang/mesa are much better than the released versions that are in most distros.

Quote Originally Posted by theghost View Post
    Err, did you have ever run Dota 2 ? Then you would know that it has really low requirements. You can also play it with a Sandybridge with good settings. It's also possible to play it with older Intel generations, but I recommend Windows then.

Either try it yourself but stop hating other's work.
    Dude, seriously? I wasn't hating at all. Why would you assume this? I just wanted to get some information that the article did not provide. I gave the example simply to explain that providing a simple percentage jump leaves out useful information.

No, I have not ever run Dota 2 on an Intel integrated graphics processor because I don't have one. So I don't have that information.