Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Fullscreen Shell Protocol Is Still Baking

Phoronix: Wayland's Fullscreen Shell Protocol Is Still Baking

At the end of August there was a proposal for a Wayland System Compositor protocol but now those patches have been revised and are being put out as a new Wayland full-screen shell protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the real world advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      There are many.

For Prime support under Wayland, better performance will be under an embedded compositor, and you would like to
      control the resolution of the screen to adapt it to the game you're playing right? Moreover you'll be able to have fancy options when
      you have multiple monitors (have a part of the game on screen X, the other part on screen Y, ... or have a clone mode, ...)

Finally, KWin plans to be an embedded Wayland compositor, to avoid writing the drm code to bypass scanout, manage screens, ...
      So it'll need these features.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        There are many.

For Prime support under Wayland, better performance will be under an embedded compositor, and you would like to
        control the resolution of the screen to adapt it to the game you're playing right? Moreover you'll be able to have fancy options when
        you have multiple monitors (have a part of the game on screen X, the other part on screen Y, ... or have a clone mode, ...)

Finally, KWin plans to be an embedded Wayland compositor, to avoid writing the drm code to bypass scanout, manage screens, ...
        So it'll need these features.
        Thanks!

"The message you have entered is to short...."

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Also, as David mentions in the original thread... writing directly against DRM/KMS is HARD. There's a lot of pieces you have to get 'just right' and its really easy to screw those parts up. He also mentions that at one point (I dont know if these plans hold true still, Martin could chime in if he sees the thread) Kwin was planned to be a weston plugin, not its own stand-alone compositor. This would mean Weston would be the "Full screen" shell. and Kwin would be the sub-compositor passing surfaces back up to weston to be displayed. EFL and Gnome have decided to write their own compositors, not as weston plugins.

The idea of a "full screen" compositor is just a way to kind of abstract away KMS and DRM. If you KNOW the layer between DRM/KMS and your compositor is done RIGHT (Probably why Kwin was doing a weston plugin) then you just have to write against the layer, not against DRM/KMS directly. And if that middle layer starts immediately, then doing something like Plymouth or a Gnome/KDE/EFL splash screen for login? Thats as simple as writing a wayland client, because youre just writing against the middle layer, not DRM/KMS.

If any of the devs want to chime in with anything I got wrong, more than welcome . But all info was taken from these two threads:

All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I hope they have enough attention for being able to use multiple processors to do things (GPU's + CPU's), able to code in hardware, good responsiveness even under heavy load and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              I hope they have enough attention for being able to use multiple processors to do things (GPU's + CPU's), able to code in hardware, good responsiveness even under heavy load and efficient.
              Multiple GPUs, and probably by extension CPU + GPGPU, "is a client problem". Wayland wants buffers filled with contents, end of story.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Multiple GPUs, and probably by extension CPU + GPGPU, "is a client problem". Wayland wants buffers filled with contents, end of story.
                That's the best part of it. KISS.

Comment

Working...
                X