Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Still Working Towards Python 3 By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Still Working Towards Python 3 By Default

While Python 3.0 was released at the end of 2008, due to its backwards-incompatibility, Python 2 is still the default Python implementation on Fedora. Fortunately, FESCo approved today that for Fedora 21 or 22 the switch will be made to Python 3.x by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora Still Working Towards Python 3 By Default

While Python 3.0 was released at the end of 2008, due to its backwards-incompatibility, Python 2 is still the default Python implementation on Fedora. Fortunately, FESCo approved today that for Fedora 21 or 22 the switch will be made to Python 3.x by default...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MzQ
    Why "fortunately"?

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
      Why "fortunately"?
      Because it's Fedora?

Comment

for me, the main problem is ...

HPLIP.
        Im using arch, who uses python3 by default, and when I try to install the "hplip-plugin" by "hp-setup" it dont work. =(

Comment

good

This will likely cause more developers to migrate to py3.

Things will break but the migration steps seemed simple, last I checked.

I'm glad to see some distros going this route!

Comment

Why?
            Because python 2 has been frozen since 2008 (5 years) only getting security/bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              Because python 2 has been frozen since 2008 (5 years) only getting security/bug fixes.
              And also new features.

Was python 3 worth it? No it wasn't. But I'm naive.

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
                HPLIP.
                Im using arch, who uses python3 by default, and when I try to install the "hplip-plugin" by "hp-setup" it dont work. =(
                So change the shebang or command line to "python2" instead of "python". It's usually pretty trivial to adapt things to look for python2.

Comment

I don't see why there is so much push back from Py2 to Py3. I have ported dozens of previously Py2-only libraries to Py2 + Py3.
                  (often in a single non-backwards-compatible change, only for one project did I have to change how the implementation works)
                  It is fairly easy to have code that runs on 2.6 2.7 3.2 and 3.3 simultaneously.

I know the original 2.5 to 3.0 migration path was pretty ridiculous, and the python maintainers took the wrong bet with 2to3, but they did it right eventually :-)

There is some really awesome parts of the py3 language that was only possible after dropping some silly exceptional behaviour.

Comment

It's high time that support for py2 be dropped. Ppl don't use py3 cause many libs didn't migrate, and they didn't migrate cause py2 is still supported - a vicious circle :-P. 5 years is enough of keeping the legacy branch (that doesn't support utf8) alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X