Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 On Linux

Default NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 On Linux

This week I featured the first Linux review of an AMD Radeon Rx 200 series graphics card in the form of an AMD Radeon R9 270X "Curacao XT" benchmarked on Ubuntu. If you're looking to buy a new graphics card for use on the Linux desktop but prefer NVIDIA hardware or buying a GPU isn't dependent upon the incomplete RadeonSI driver, being looked at today on Phoronix is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Kepler graphics card.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19247

Seems to be almost the same as the 550Ti but more power efficient and runs a little bit cooler. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Michael, do you get nvidia products for free?

Nvidia has a couple of price cuts.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7401/n...oost-price-cut

Also good article for building entry level gaming pc using this card:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/b...chine-for-430/
    Last edited by madjr; 10-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Michael, do you get nvidia products for free?
    I bought this one as stated in the article. Only times I ever get free NVIDIA GPUs is actually when their Unix/Linux driver leads (both Andy and Hardy) personally have bought them and let me borrow them (/ long term borrowing as he never seems to ask for them back due to frequently using them for other tests/articles). Even when he's requested their PR/marketing department send out samples, it's generally been a runaround.

bad graphid card, poor performance

650Ti Boost or 7850 are a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by mum1989 View Post
    bad graphid card, poor performance

650Ti Boost or 7850 are a lot better.
    Actually the GTX 660 is one of the best gfx cards for the price currently.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Actually the GTX 660 is one of the best gfx cards for the price currently.
    Yeap. I have that, and it's been the price/performance sweet spot for quite a while.

That said, even though I have that, I'm using Intel drivers at the moment. Hooray for NVIDIA not supporting kernel 3.11...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap. I have that, and it's been the price/performance sweet spot for quite a while.

That said, even though I have that, I'm using Intel drivers at the moment. Hooray for NVIDIA not supporting kernel 3.11...
    Hooray for custom sources and manual patching

I'd rather have a cut-down GTX660 (650Ti) than a glorified GT640 (GT650). The fact that Nvidia tries to pass this card off as a "GTX" is an insult to the other GTX cards. When the price points were stretched out, the GT650 had a niche, but MSI also offers a 650Ti for $90 after rebate, making the GT650 even more pointless now.

Either Nvidia's marketing team didn't put enough thought into their product names or they put way too much thought into confusing/deceiving people. Please Nvidia, let this card die (along with the marketing team).

Looks like Catalyst and AMD hardware is massively outperforming NVIDIA drivers and hardware in every benchmark, and especially so in OpenCL.