Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.15 To Get Support For New Mesa

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.15 To Get Support For New Mesa

With the new Mesa mega-driver concept that fundamentally changes how the Mesa drivers are built, a new DRI entry point is going to be used by the drivers and dropping the old entry point. As a result, the X.Org Server is being updated in advance to be able to support the new Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Other systems?

How do other operating systems deal with this issue?

Any other operating system take the megadriver approach?

Windows uses Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), but I don't know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      How do other operating systems deal with this issue?

Any other operating system take the megadriver approach?

Windows uses Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), but I don't know how it works.
      Other OS's don't have this issue because you just download a 200MB driver from NVidia or AMD. Or intel.

Megadrivers is only necessary because they're trying to ship a ton of different drivers in a small size for live distros.

Comment

I also think it will make upgrading to the latest opensource driver easier, as you only export the stable portion of the api, and not the internals anymore.
        it used to be that you need to upgrade: DDX, mesa, dri, llvm, etc...
        This reduces that set of dependencies considerably I belive.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Other OS's don't have this issue because you just download a 200MB driver from NVidia or AMD. Or intel.

Megadrivers is only necessary because they're trying to ship a ton of different drivers in a small size for live distros.
          Well the AMD and Nvidia drivers for Windows are really bloated.
          They come with these huge complex bloated control panels and all stupid shit.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Well the AMD and Nvidia drivers for Windows are really bloated.
            They come with these huge complex bloated control panels and all stupid shit.

hmm..

With the control panels you can setup multimonitors. change refresh. You can Tweak your crappy as Hell TN panel LCD to look really nice with color controls and gamma settings. You can apply Game (which is why EVERYONE ON EARTH has a dedicated GPU over an integrated one) settings easier like AA, Ansiostropic filtering, Super Sampling, Vsync etc.. to each and any game you have or apply as a global setting.

The control centers are extremley usefull.

Also 'Bloated' hmm the Defacto standard for PC's in 2013-2014 is 8GB RAM and at least a 256GB HDD. Adding another 80mb for a control center is hardly bloated, especially on Linux where the average desktop only takes 10% of system RAM when fully loaded.

Comment

@phill1978

Give one good reason why said control panels need to be .Net 4.0 200mb bloated monsters. When their functionality could be done in < 500kb when done right.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                @phill1978

Give one good reason why said control panels need to be .Net 4.0 200mb bloated monsters. When their functionality could be done in < 500kb when done right.
                Just loaded Catalyst control Center.

Gnome System monitor: 20.5MB

200MB ??

On Linux its 20.5MB which is small enough considering the functions it isnt 'that' bad at all. Sure that 20.5MB could be stripped a lot further and I think over time it will. I seem to remember from a few years ago CCC and the driver was 200mb on Windows..

The actual driver has like 1,000,000 lines of code (literally) and is extremely complex so if the actual driver was 200mb i could easily see that, but the control center which is what i was discussing is 20.5MB
                Last edited by ForkedPython; 26 October 2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
                  The actual driver has like 1,000,000 lines of code (literally) and is extremely complex
                  Probably more like 20,000,000.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X