Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel X.Org Driver Now Handles Better Tear-Free

Phoronix: Intel X.Org Driver Now Handles Better Tear-Free

Chris Wilson of Intel this morning released an updated xf86-video-intel X.Org driver. With this latest 3.0 pre-release comes support for TearFree on transformed outputs. There's also been other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly, the little black box corruption still exists with this. Wish they would finally fix it.

Comment

Any chance this fixes the tearing issues for which a workaround was to disable culling in Gnome Shell for example?
      Discussion of Mesa / Gallium3D components for Linux and other operating systems. This includes open-source 3D hardware drivers, state trackers, OpenCL, OpenGL, Vulkan, and SPIR-V support.
      Last edited by Bucic; 23 October 2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Sadly, the little black box corruption still exists with this. Wish they would finally fix it.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68410
        I will have a workaround of some form before 3.0.

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
        Any chance this fixes the tearing issues for which a workaround was to disable culling in Gnome Shell for example?
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...687#post359687
        TearFree would prevent all of that - but really this is a bug in the compositor and DRI2 protocol and should be fixed there.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
          I will have a workaround of some form before 3.0.

TearFree would prevent all of that - but really this is a bug in the compositor and DRI2 protocol and should be fixed there.
          How do you know? Can you post me to any existing bug reports? I'm struggling with tearing for months now!

Comment

And what is this tearfree you speak of? It doesn't seem to be a package or a tool.

Comment

How do you know? Can you post me to any existing bug reports? I'm struggling with tearing for months now!
              The crux of the issue is the attempt to "optimise" updates of the frontbuffer through the use of DRI2CopyRegion (called through MESA_copy_subbuffer). That operation is not specified as being synchronous wrt vrefresh, so it is allowed to tear. Furthermore as a tearing DRI2SwapBuffer itself calls the backend CopyRegion function, there is no way the backend can detect whether or not it should prevent tearing. It's a glorious snafu.

However, if the compositor just does a plain old SwapBuffer, the update is tear free. (Of course that in itself has negative implications for prime and slaves like udl.)

The root cause here is the inadequacy of the DRI2 protocol for efficient and tear-free compositing.

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about In Fedora 17 I had no tearing and now I have. I would just like to know against what package I report the bug and how should I title it.

Comment

And what is this tearfree you speak of? It doesn't seem to be a package or a tool.
                  It's a configuration option to remove screen tearing. From the Arch forums:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
                  Section "Device"
                  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
                  Option "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
                  Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
                  Option "TearFree" "true"
                  EndSection

I've used these options myself and they work perfectly, I think I get better performance from switching to sna too.

Comment

when will opengl 3.3 and these feature get in xf86-video-ati

Comment

Working...
                    X