Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Cortex-A15 big.LITTLE Pitted Against Intel, AMD

Phoronix: ARM Cortex-A15 big.LITTLE Pitted Against Intel, AMD

Yesterday I began posting quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 SoC benchmarks using an ODRIOID-XU with Exynos 5 Octa, which has a quad-core Cortex-A15 paired with the "little" quad-core Cortex-A7. In this article are more benchmarks of the Samsung Exynos 5 Octa compared to various AMD and Intel CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was missing the benchmarks a little from the news. Maybe this little thing has strength in special areas and / or just a low power consumption.

> today I bought an Atom "Bay Trail" laptop

You forgot to complain that intel does not send you hardware for testing.
    I mean, just to be fair.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

> today I bought an Atom "Bay Trail" laptop

You forgot to complain that intel does not send you hardware for testing.
      I mean, just to be fair.
      Intel sends me lots of free hardware for testing, just high-end CPUs / motherboards and stuff, but not Atom SoC platforms.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I can't wait for Bay Trail Linux testing! Hopefully, it's not a pain to get something to boot from USB like the guys here are running into. Please show some power consumption tests in addition to your usual CPU and GPU benchmarks.

I'm looking for a nice small notebook with long battery life and okayish performance. Although I'm still hoping UMPCs make a come back. I've had the Viliv N5 but that encountered some accidental wife damage and it wasn't Linux friendly too. Hopefully, an OQO type slider comes out with Bay Trail.
        Last edited by guido12; 22 October 2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Wait- it's only twice as bad as an i3? Interesting.

Comment

It would have been interesting to compare it with price-equivalent hardware, should it come from AMD (E Series) or Intel (Atom, or even Pentium class, if the price stands).

Interesting anyway, but not surprising at all. Surprise us Michael !

Comment

Wich kernel?

Did you use Ubuntu kernel?
              Did you use android kernel?
              Wich one preinstalled or Linaro optimized as Oxigen?

Comment

It'd be cool if you could bench the Apple A7 seeing as it's the best ARM CPU out there right now, but of course that's not possible.

Comment

Bay Trail future benchmarks

I have read Bay Trai performs 50% in dalvik than ARM with similar sinthetic benchmark scores
                  And that is why its price has been cut by half
                  But for non Android OSs is a bargain.
                  I would like to read about Ubuntu and ubuntu phone running at this machine that may be great if it where sold with Ubuntu preinstalled instead of MS WOS

But as Intel said there will be 100 USD Bay Trail tablets this christmas season and as easy as to plug in any 10 USD keyboard to make it a combo full reviews of ubuntu at this tablets before this 100 USD models arrive to the market would be great even can make one brand to bet for Ubuntu preinstalled as an option or model

And I say Ubuntu becouse no other GNU/linux distros are betting so hard for mobile but I did read Suse has a great KDE tablet preconfig

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
                    I can't wait for Bay Trail Linux testing! Hopefully, it's not a pain to get something to boot from USB like the guys here are running into. Please show some power consumption tests in addition to your usual CPU and GPU benchmarks.

I'm looking for a nice small notebook with long battery life and okayish performance. Although I'm still hoping UMPCs make a come back. I've had the Viliv N5 but that encountered some accidental wife damage and it wasn't Linux friendly too. Hopefully, an OQO type slider comes out with Bay Trail.
                    Here you go:

Roughly same CPU and GPU performance (offscreen, obviously, on-screen is resolution dependent) as last year's Exynos 5250 (on the Chromebook, on Nexus 10 it seems pretty obvious Android impacts its performance negatively).

Battery life is also quite poor. 31Wh/7,000 mAh battery that gets less battery life as Nexus 7 and iPad Mini, which have ~4,000 mAh batteries.

My advice to everyone: stop believing Intel's misleading press releases (and yes, that includes even tech sites like Anandtech and others who talk about it a whole year before even being able to review the chips. They are just as clueless when they can't review the chips, and have to rely on Intel's press releases, too, and be opinionated about that. But those opinions can't really be trusted either until they review the chips, and include bias just like from everyone on the Internet).

Comment

Working...
                    X