Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 "Penryn"

Phoronix: Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 "Penryn"

For a year now Intel has been flaunting its 45nm "Penryn" processor core with its SSE4 instruction set, High-K metal gate transistors, and 6MB of L2 cache. Most of the Penryn media attention has been focused upon the desktop Core 2 processors, but in January at the 2008 Consumer Electronic Show Intel had rolled out sixteen new products and a dozen of them were mobile oriented. Among these Intel innovations were the first mobile Penryn processors. These mobile Intel 45nm CPUs accompanied the Penryn desktop line-up that first began in November of 2007 with Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and then continued with several new Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo models. On the server front, the Penryn equivalent is Harpertown and those quad-core Xeon processors have been shipping for the same length of time. Today we are focusing upon the Intel Penryn performance on the mobile front as we explore the Core 2 Duo T9300. The Core 2 Duo T9300 is running inside a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 notebook and we have compared its performance against earlier Centrino-based ThinkPads as we look at how this latest Intel processor performs with Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This benchmark is useless for comparison. You should have used CPUs with the same clocks or price.
    It does not clearly show the difference between the old 7x00 models and the new 8/9x00. (1.83 vs 2.5 GHZ is a joke).

This is meant as constructive critics.

Comment

Would be nice if in the future, phoronix could be able to run linux benchmarks with these new Intels quad-core processors against the new and improved AMD Phenoms processors and produce an article about it.

Comment

one mistake in figures

core 2 duo T2400 (T60)

but T2400 is not "core 2 duo", better comparison should be with core 2 duo T7200 (T60)

Comment

Speed

Does anyone know why the speed is only at 800mhz? Is there something I don't understand about CPU's that this is normal? Is there any way to make it full speed if it isn't normal? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Californian View Post
            Does anyone know why the speed is only at 800mhz? Is there something I don't understand about CPU's that this is normal? Is there any way to make it full speed if it isn't normal? Thanks!
            Is your system just idling? If so, it's because of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), which downclocks the CPU when the additional power isn't needed. If you don't want it, you should be able to disable it from your BIOS.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Is your system just idling? If so, it's because of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), which downclocks the CPU when the additional power isn't needed. If you don't want it, you should be able to disable it from your BIOS.
              Thanks! The problem is, I am quite the newb when it comes to linux, so I have no idea how to do this. Can you explain how? Oh and I'm not really sure what you mean by idling. My computer is simply running slower (or seems to be) with Fedora than with Vista. I have 4GB of RAM and it still delays when I hover over a folder, for example, or when I unshade a window (I love shading!). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X