Football Manager Shows More Linux GPU Driver Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    The graphics are messed up, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it's a problem with the graphics stack? If my graphics were messed up, I'm not going to assume a problem with the locale setting, that's counter-intuitive. Give the guy a break, so he didn't go hunting through some forum thread to uncover the real reason, you're expecting too much.
    No not really, I was expecting real journalism maybe, ya know research and all that! Instead of sensationalism. After all, it's supposed to be a *nix tech site.

sorry my bad

Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      before it was windows, now it's a different name - ubuntu
      Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        DEBIAN IS NOT SUPPORTED. The unsupported guy fixed the problem.

Whats wrong with me? I want that people FIRED.
        If they limit themself only to one platform use case, they can express this in a much more convenient way. Example:
        "Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately we have limited resources and can't confirm or deny this outside of our reference environiment."
        yet maybe move own brains a bit and setup virtual machine with this platform - plan about 20-40 minutes or suspend the case. Time management 101.
        More eyes, more use cases, less space for bugs to hide. Perfectly understandable to have limited time resources - ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PROPRIETARY (*smirk* *smirk*); but read the thread title yourself:

Having a problem with FM on Linux? READ HERE FIRST

And his response:
        You're using an unsupported OS - this won't occur if you are using the OS we are supporting - Ubuntu12.04LTS

It was Windows,
        now its different name - Ubuntu,
        what changed? Same stupid mindset, called INFLEXIBILITY, in economics synonym for CARTEL, grandson of MONOPOLY, arch-enemy of anything open-, libre- or innovative-.
        We have this over and over again.

Yes, probably they need time, a lot of time, to adapt and learn.
        Brosis,
        I think one of possible weakness within the community is communication in professional way. In this case, you can explain to the technical support that Ubuntu LTS is similar to Debian and the fix you provide also applied to the supported system. Be like a diplomat.

Comment

The beta works fine for me on both the latest Catalyst(HD5850 on desktop/ Arch Linux) and Intel OSS(HD3000 laptop/Fedora 18) drivers. I'm very happy with the quality of the port so far

Comment

Thank god I have an Nvidia GTX 460 and I am sure I am going to play without issues this game too (after L4D2).

I LOVE this game...

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm the Debian user and if you follow the SIGames forums, it's not a graphic driver problem but a game problem.
              New workaroud to resolv the bug :

Delete ".local/share/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2014/Caches/" and set launch options for FM to "LC_ALL=C %command%".

Cheers,
              Berillions

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                Way to go Mick, blame amd drivers when its nowt to do with them .

No wonder they don't send nowt for you to review

Are you going to do an article on bad coding devs and one to retract said amd/intel/nvidia driver bashing?

It appears to be a locale setting that causes it after all said and done.

Pete.
                Well, then you should blame me as I am the user who wrote that e-mail to Michael. The purpose of the e-mail was telling him that the game was now on an open beta and if any user was interested in that game, now it was available. The final part might be considered a cheap rant but I am pretty sick and tired of Catalyst. I don't get kernel panics and the like as other users but the gaming experience is far from desirable. I guess Michael should have elaborated and not just copied my e-mail... I'm sorry for the havoc caused.

In any case, this FM2014 matter has gone on the whole weekend and only until that user found the answer it looked like a graphics problem (I wouldn't have thought of a locale issue...)
                Last edited by jsa1983; 21 October 2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
                  Hi guys,

I'm the Debian user and if you follow the SIGames forums, it's not a graphic driver problem but a game problem.
                  New workaroud to resolv the bug :

Delete ".local/share/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2014/Caches/" and set launch options for FM to "LC_ALL=C %command%".

Cheers,
                  Berillions
                  That workaround works for me perfectly. Thanks, Berillions.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Yeah let's not be too harsh as there are going to be a lot of growing pains as people learn the Linux ropes.
                    As I stated in a previous post, I have been following that bug the whole weekend and I must say that both Lucas Weatherby and Pablo M?rquez have been very cooperative and kind. I guess this is just one of the common problems companies can find when porting games. Not everyone can be as skilled as Icculus at porting games...

In any case, this raises the concern that companies should also test non-english locales. If you take a look at the Steam poll language section you can see that a lot of people live in non-English speaking countries.

Comment

Ubuntu brought Steam to Linux. Ubuntu should be supported first.

Where is the problem?

In the end Steam is proprietary. And as (some of the) Linux community insist proprietary is the devil and must die together with Ubuntu (open-source but supports proprietary stuff) and anyone that the man who eats his dead foot skin dislike.

Get-a-life!

Comment

Working...
                      X