Extended desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended desktop

Is anyone getting extended desktop to work with ANY of the ATI drivers?

I have a mobility x1400, and it's not working. I want to extend the desktop to the right (using the "Screens and Graphics" gnome applet), and play videos on my TV using the right part of the desktop.

Both open source drivers do the same thing. I reboot to get the new settings, and the screen is completely garbled.

With the fglrx driver, I managed to do it, but after I disconnected the VGA out to the TV, things started behaving strangely. I clicked the icon to start firefox, and it didn't start. Possibly it was being placed on the extended desktop, but I didn't get an item in the toolbar for it... Anyway, this sub-forum is for the open source drivers, so... Does this work? On any card? On my card with some magic settings?

Originally posted by elenius View Post
    Is anyone getting extended desktop to work with ANY of the ATI drivers?

I have a mobility x1400, and it's not working. I want to extend the desktop to the right (using the "Screens and Graphics" gnome applet), and play videos on my TV using the right part of the desktop.

Both open source drivers do the same thing. I reboot to get the new settings, and the screen is completely garbled.

With the fglrx driver, I managed to do it, but after I disconnected the VGA out to the TV, things started behaving strangely. I clicked the icon to start firefox, and it didn't start. Possibly it was being placed on the extended desktop, but I didn't get an item in the toolbar for it... Anyway, this sub-forum is for the open source drivers, so... Does this work? On any card? On my card with some magic settings?
    I don't think the current gnome screen applet is randr 1.2 aware. Please try xrandr to dynamically switch to dualhead:
    xrandr --auto
    xrandr --output --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS
    Take a look at this page for setting up static dualhead configurations:

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      I don't think the current gnome screen applet is randr 1.2 aware. Please try xrandr to dynamically switch to dualhead:
      xrandr --auto
      xrandr --output --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS
      Take a look at this page for setting up static dualhead configurations:
      http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
      Cool! That actually works with the radeon driver, after I set a large virtual desktop size in xorg.conf. Does not work with RadeonHD. When I do xrandr --auto I get

$ xrandr --auto
      X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request: 155 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request: 21 ()
      Serial number of failed request: 18
      Current serial number in output stream: 18

And when I do other xrandr commands, nothing happens. I guess I'll use radeon for now. Too bad Xv doesn't work for me with either driver...

Comment

I had similar problems with radeonhd driver and xrandr on my hd2600xt agp card.
        With fglrx, dual-head mostly worked after setting up in amdcccle, just 'finicky', e.g. not properly persisting after logoff / logon, that sort of thing.
        With radeonhd, I also got mostly garbled output on one of my two CRTs and they even support the same resolutions and refresh rates (though not being identical monitors, should you think that 'confused' RandR).
        I think RandR 1.2 is still slightly dodgy, in combination with 'radeonhd' so I run Linux with just one CRT and the
        Option "NoRandR" "true" in my xorg.conf device section.

p.s. Oh and windows XP driver vs. radeonhd seem to have their output port ID's reversed from eachother, e.g. what's primary on one driver becomes the secondary when I boot into the other O.S. and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
        X