Painkiller Linux Dev Recommends Non-NVIDIA Open Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
    That thread was regarding the open-source drivers, my mistake, however I am correct in that you didn't reply to me.

Honestly, the open-source drivers have tended to give me the fewest problems of the two. Once I'm able to dial-in fglrx just right it usually turns out OK, but it's a little more tinkering versus the open-source drivers working much better out-of-the-box.

Installing fglrx via apt-get or the additional whatever menu (does the same thing, as far as I know) probably isn't a great idea. I don't think Ubuntu really stays on top of those packages like they should be.

Following the guide here was one of the easier ways to get the latest version of fglrx up and going on Ubuntu at first for me, so I'll link you to it to see if it's at all helpful: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

What I asked in that other thread that might still be relevant: "If you're booting via UEFI that could be related to that (with Ubuntu 13.04 anyway), but I'm not aware of any systems that shipped with UEFI and a 6750M... except maybe some Apple laptop of some sort? I believe I remember a 6750M BIOS being posted that was taken from some sort of Apple laptop... those have their own slew of Linux issues to begin with."

Some more info that might be helpful: Is this an Intel CPU + AMD GPU system? Or AMD APU + AMD GPU system.

EDIT: Jeez I'm tired... I read your post as saying you were surprised they recommended open-source drivers! Definitely a sign it's time for bed, lmao. Sorry!
    No worries, we all get exhausted from staring at text for so long I guess I missed that reply from you, sorry about that; you're not the only one who gets exhausted.
    Well, my system, which is a Samsung Series 7 Chronos, does have a UEFI option in the BIOS but it's disabled. And it's an Intel CPU + AMD GPU. I didn't get time yet to play around and get switcheroo to work fine, I was planning to do that after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10.
    By the way, thanks for the link. I will try those recommendations with the Catalyst driver.

Comment

Working...
    X