Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

Phoronix: Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

The latest revision to Mir features an important performance fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Cononical paying you to make Mir seem like a godsend to linux users? You're converting it way too much making Mir seem like a big deal and you keep only showing how "amazing" it is.
    Mir is Ubuntu only, it does not affect any other distro so why try and make it seem like a good thing? Its getting annoying to be honest...

Comment

Mir is Linux news. This is a Linux news site. Go figure.

Actually, I think you'll find the reason is because Mir stories are click-bait and so are good for ad revenue. You may or may not like that, but it keeps the site alive.

I don't think anybody reading Phoronix is going to change their opinion on Mir based on what Michael posts anyway.

Comment

It's pretty funny when in the comments of one article people say Michael is biased against Mir, and in another they say he's biased in favour of it

Comment

Sounds more like a design flaw than a bug

Comment

Originally posted by wizout View Post
            Sounds more like a design flaw than a bug
            You sound more like a fanboy than a user with serious opinion

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Mir is Linux news. This is a Linux news site. Go figure.

Actually, I think you'll find the reason is because Mir stories are click-bait and so are good for ad revenue. You may or may not like that, but it keeps the site alive.

I don't think anybody reading Phoronix is going to change their opinion on Mir based on what Michael posts anyway.
              Yeah, Michael wouldn't keep posting these articles unless they were bringing in the ad money. If people stopped caring, so would he.

On a more on-topic note, what does this do for a minimized application? Can you still see a live preview of it (by hovering over a taskbar entry, for example)? Or will that have nothing to render now? I'm guessing in mobile you might not even want that because of the power use, but in desktop you might very well want to keep it, at least as an option.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 20 October 2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Beginners.

Comment

Weston has had this capability for a long time.

If a surface is partially hidden, Weston will only draw the visible part of the surface (and obviously will redraw it only if the surface is damaged).

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    You sound more like a fanboy than a user with serious opinion
                    How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                    Weston has had this capability for a long time.

If a surface is partially hidden, Weston will only draw the visible part of the surface (and obviously will redraw it only if the surface is damaged).
                    Well, that's what every sane renderer *should* do.

Comment

Working...
                    X