Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizout View Post
    Well, that's what every sane renderer *should* do.
    Yes, I was surprised by this also. I assumed this is what Mir was already doing.

Comment

How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?

All the code was merged in these revisions, so obviously either it is a case they did not think about when designing (what I called design flaw earlier) OR somebody lost a post-it on the taskboard

Comment

The froze the Mir trunk some time before Ubuntu 13.10 was released to not introduce new major regressions. This one here is one of the many commits they have done in a seperate development branch that is now merged into Mir trunk now that Ubuntu 13.10 is released.

Also, this is exactly the kind of news that should be on Phoronix. Lol @ "Michael is a Mir hater" & "Michael is getting paid by Canonical".

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Can you still see a live preview of it (by hovering over a taskbar entry, for example)? Or will that have nothing to render now?
          As Mir and Unity will be kind of tight Unity will probably be able to tell Mir start rendering this again.

How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?
          Doesn't rely matter. If the design is fairly good such stuff should be addable pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
            Is Cononical paying you to make Mir seem like a godsend to linux users? You're converting it way too much making Mir seem like a big deal and you keep only showing how "amazing" it is.
            Mir is Ubuntu only, it does not affect any other distro so why try and make it seem like a good thing? Its getting annoying to be honest...
            Mir, whether we want it or not, is a big deal. He's posting so much about it BECAUSE it gets people's interest and because it's developing at a MUCH faster rate than wayland. I get the impression Michael overall seems to favor wayland but Mir really can't be ignored - there's a high chance it will succeed in replacing X. If both nvidia and AMD support Mir with their proprietary drivers before they support wayland, that's a pretty big deal (AFAIK, nvidia already intends to support mir).

While I personally would much rather have wayland be the universal replacement to X, I feel as though only 1 display server will end up on top and leaving the other in the dust, and unfortunately I think that's going to be mir. One problem is Intel is pretty much the only major company (that I'm aware of) developing for wayland, but they're only doing it for their own gain and otherwise they don't seem to touch it that much. The other problem is too much development for Wayland has been spent on gimmicky features, meaning not enough time was spent on making it do everything X can do (in other words, making it a viable replacement).

For political reasons, I want Mir to fail. Otherwise, I think Canonical is doing a fantastic job in the amount of time they've been working on Mir.

Comment

Seeing commit messages like that gives me nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                ... because it's developing at a MUCH faster rate than wayland...
                No, it's not. It's just that Mir is being kicked out the door before it's ready.

... AFAIK, nvidia already intends to support mir...
                Link please, because the only thing I've heard is Mark Shuttleworth saying some non-committal nonsense about this when Mir was first announced. They've been strangely quiet about it ever since. Nvidia and AMD have been quiet about it since forever, they've never mentioned it. Intel have publicly said they don't support Mir, but do support Wayland. If any of the three support Mir, it will likely be through standard EGL, not specifically developed for Mir.

... While I personally would much rather have wayland be the universal replacement to X, I feel as though only 1 display server will end up on top and leaving the other in the dust, and unfortunately I think that's going to be mir...
                Mir support is ONLY going to be in Ubuntu and its derivatives. Wayland has big support in the other major distributions. Mir has zero chance of being the de facto standard. It may co-exist with Wayland, but Wayland will be the standard.

... I want Mir to fail...
                This is the only sensible statement in your post.

Comment

While I personally would much rather have wayland be the universal replacement to X, I feel as though only 1 display server will end up on top and leaving the other in the dust, and unfortunately I think that's going to be mir.
                  There are technical reasons why no WM/DE except Unity can support Mir properly, see Martin Gr??lin's blog. So Mir will never be a proper replacement for X, simply because of the same reasons you used as argument against Wayland: Mir can not do anything that X can do, it lacks specifically one very important, if not the most important, feature: It can't be supported by other DEs as Unity and a single DE solution can never be a replacement for X.

Comment

Its interesting : from one side, every linux fanboy wants linux to be open source, free, and have many choises, but from another side, those stupid monkeys wants linux to be like mac os - to not have any choises, mir is evil, and another stupid things. So, you want to have a choise, but you dont wanna let people to develop something better, you are forcing everyone to use some shitty wayland with xfce/gnome or other kind of narcotics, want a bunch of stupid monkeys some of you are ....

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
                      Mir is Ubuntu only, it does not affect any other distro so why try and make it seem like a good thing? Its getting annoying to be honest...
                      Your post is contradicting itself. Also, posts like yours are also getting annoying.

Comment

Working...
                      X