Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte AirCruiser N300 802.11n

Phoronix: Gigabyte AirCruiser N300 802.11n

We have looked at many Gigabyte motherboards and graphics cards at Phoronix, but this computing company also maintains products in the mobile and communication sectors with such products as Bluetooth adapters, VoIP devices, Ultra Mobile PCs, wireless routers, and 802.11b/g/n wireless modules. Today we are checking out our first Gigabyte wireless product as we review the AirCruiser N300, which is a MiniPCI 802.11n (draft) wireless adapter. This wireless adapter uses the Ralink RT2860 chipset, and in this review we'll tell you how to setup this wireless card using ndiswrapper on Ubuntu 8.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boo!!!

Reviews of products that actually *work* under Linux would be much more useful than this proprietary-driver-wrapper jank.

Comment

Hardware Setup?

What did you guys use for a hardware setup? Just from looking at your lspci output, it looks like a 780G desktop motherboard perhaps? If so, how did you connect the antenna(s)?

I'm curious because I just installed a mini-PCI wireless adapter into a notebook that didn't come with the antenna hook up, hence, no signal strength...just wondering how you got yours!

Thanks,
      S

Comment

Originally posted by Chandon View Post
        Boo!!!

Reviews of products that actually *work* under Linux would be much more useful than this proprietary-driver-wrapper jank.
        I'm not sure why a review of wireless card that has native linux drivers would be done using ndiswrapper as well.

Comment

Ralink chipsets have the best supported FOSS drivers, but where can I buy them?

Perhaps I missed it, but your article doesn't include a link for where to buy the Gigabyte AirCruiser N300 802.11n. It would be nice to put such links on the front page so that people who like what they read can easily purchase the item

Ralink is the most FOSS-friendly wireless chipset manufacturer, and it would be nice to have a store that targets Linux users and sells Ralink-based wireless cards such as this. Many sellers like NewEgg, Amazon, or EBay don't list the chipset manufacturer, just the brand, so it's hard to know if the cards will work with Linux.

The closest thing I've found to a Linux-centric wireless card seller is http://www.minipci.biz , but they're only wholesale.
          Last edited by stan; 27 March 2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

to those two above that seem to not know how to read:

they clearly state that there is an open source driver GPL made directly from the company. but there are 2 problems, the first is that the driver isn't still included in the kernel, the second is that it doesn't compile out of the box on a 2.6.24 kernel. so, now if you are smart enough to understand, it is way easier and faster to set and configure the driver with ndswrapper instead of playing with the source code to make it compile. do you actually understand this?

and to the guy who says "boo", you've got some problems. the card WORKS, we do not need a review of a card the works by itself. this review is usefull for people who have linux and buy this card and wonder why it doesn't work. you people are the wrong part of the linux world.

thanks phoronix for your work. I do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              to those two above that seem to not know how to read:

they clearly state that there is an open source driver GPL made directly from the company. but there are 2 problems, the first is that the driver isn't still included in the kernel, the second is that it doesn't compile out of the box on a 2.6.24 kernel. so, now if you are smart enough to understand, it is way easier and faster to set and configure the driver with ndswrapper instead of playing with the source code to make it compile. do you actually understand this?

and to the guy who says "boo", you've got some problems. the card WORKS, we do not need a review of a card the works by itself. this review is usefull for people who have linux and buy this card and wonder why it doesn't work. you people are the wrong part of the linux world.

thanks phoronix for your work. I do appreciate it.
              First of all ndiswrapper doesn't "work out of the box" either. Second, time to compile GPL driver took about a total of a minute if a stable distro would have been used instead of a beta, that's the price you pay for running cutting edge vs stable. It won't be supported in the kernel until the Rt2x00 drivers add support for it. Using the ndiswrapper method limits the card to 54 mbit speeds where as the GPL drivers will give yoy full 802.11n speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                It won't be supported in the kernel until the Rt2x00 drivers add support for it.
                if your referring to this http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/ rt2x00 driver project.

Then the drivers could take awhile I asked serialmonkey and he said these cards arn't in Australia yet..

but they do plan on supporting them. so if you have one you know where to send them, if you want to speed up a in kernel driver.

I'm interested on what they motherboard they tested it on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                  Perhaps I missed it, but your article doesn't include a link for where to buy the Gigabyte AirCruiser N300 802.11n. It would be nice to put such links on the front page so that people who like what they read can easily purchase the item

Ralink is the most FOSS-friendly wireless chipset manufacturer, and it would be nice to have a store that targets Linux users and sells Ralink-based wireless cards such as this. Many sellers like NewEgg, Amazon, or EBay don't list the chipset manufacturer, just the brand, so it's hard to know if the cards will work with Linux.

The closest thing I've found to a Linux-centric wireless card seller is http://www.minipci.biz , but they're only wholesale.
                  I do not know ANYTHING about this retailer but here is a link to purchase. It looks like it is only a special order.

Sorry item you are looking for is not longer in our catelogue its been discountinued by the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabn View Post
                    if your referring to this http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/ rt2x00 driver project.

Then the drivers could take awhile I asked serialmonkey and he said these cards arn't in Australia yet..

but they do plan on supporting them. so if you have one you know where to send them, if you want to speed up a in kernel driver.
                    Back in January, Ivo van Doorn wrote he had started work on the rt2800 drivers. I've been occasionally checking his git commits but haven't discerned much re: rt2800. Can you provide any more of a status update? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X