No announcement yet.

Shuttleworth Challenged Over Mir Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd watch the crap out of this debate. LIVE! Yes, popcorn will be included. I hope Mark responds, but let's make it a point of shutting the hell up after the debate. People asking questions can be linked to the video of it in the future, and make their own decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
      But that is cross platform, like really cross platform and isn't there a clause that if it gets closed digia has to dump the code to the open source community so they can develop it from there? To me its cross platform effort is like a check and balance against the closed source OS's and the clause is a check and balance against digia and the CLA part is some sort of check and balance against any dev that would try to take it and wall it off or something like that. I'm not a dev so I don't understand these things fully but checks and balances are good IMO.

--

My reply to Mark is;
      I'm just a consumer. I own 2 pc's and I'm a fan of the Nokia dev's that got put out of Nokia so I've owned lots of Nokia phones/tablets. When I heard you took one of the Sailfish dev's libhybris and didn't give him any kind of advanced warning and made this thing called mir instead of contributing to Wayland that pretty much nailed it for me that I won't be using Ubuntu as soon as mir gets added to it. Right now I'm using Kubuntu 13.10 on one laptop and the desktop has Mex distro which is Ubuntu 12.10 with my choice of various DE's (but it's dead due to a hw issue). I've tried various DE's. Cinnamon was no frills and fast, KDE was flexible and not too slow and Unity was just Apple like and I kept hearing on various forums that it slows games down so I did not really like it much.

Nobody is stopping Mir, they are just objecting to it for their own development projects. I object to it because it seems like you are trying to go the Apple route. I think you might be one of those people that will say anything (even the opposite of reality) in order to stay or be a 1%er. People that abuse capitalism are pretty much a major cause of problems in this country. The haves and have nots dichotomy with huge giant differences in assets and revenue is not sustainable over the long run. More sustainable would be the haves and the haves some.
      I object the old school way of thinking in the linux desktop comunity. It has not worked very well: too much teenager politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        I can easily tell you what the Free Qt agreement does and does not.
        And I have to ask you again why you think that your opinion on the Free Qt agreement has any validity or even authority, since you have admitted not to be a lawyer. Again, troll somewhere else, no one on Phoronix cares about your bullshit.

Comment

[Mark said] they suffer from the "Not Invented Here" syndrome...

Well, look who is talking. To my memory Wayland was here waaaaay before MIR, same for upstart (I am sure you could have adapted one of the tons of other init daemons that are out there) - and btw, dont compare it to systemd, that thing has (afaik) a completely different concept to the other init daemons (because it is not an init daemon but a system manager).

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
            Pop corn should be included in the Phoronix Premium accounts now Michael!
            Seconded!

But I guess it could actually be interesting and maybe shed some light on Canonical's intentions. Not that I'd use their software but they still have big fellowship of users.
            I had used it to set up other people's computers back in the days before any new surfaces, shopping lenses or mir projects were probably even thought of. But there are numerous other distributions doing a fine job at being precompiled and quick to install: SuSE, Mageia, RH based ones, other DEB-based ones, ...
            And god bless Gentoo.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Okay, isn't it moronic to turn the TEA party into an insult? Seriously have the TEA party and their ideas have been in power recently? I would have thought that big government guys and keynesians were all to blame. But well ... I guess it is not a surprise that so many people are brainwashed by the mainstream media.

Comment

Apparently the guy took quite an uneducated swipe at the Tea Party. I didn't get to see the original comments because he wisely removed them... but what is with people who get upset over "name calling" and being "insulted" and then go on to essentially call the Tea Party a bunch of assholes? Is the inherent hypocrisy so deep that it's not even perceptible to the individual?

Comment

Why is people bitching about Canonical's CLA?

Qt has the same contribution agreement. All rights belong to Digia. Qt started being a close library and ended with an opensource, free counterpart but still had a closed version for projects or companies willing to pay for it.

Qt being better than GTK+ and also free software, I think that CLA madness is stupid. The same happens with Canonical's CLA. Huh, the code is GPLv3, what's the problem?

I don't see Canonical going the Apple way. They're supporting standards and all of their development is open. Sure, there was that bazaar discussion and currently Landscape is closed source software. I think Launchpad was also closed at the beginning, but they opened it and launchpad helped to build a great infraestructure of repositories and free software projects.

Maybe they are not top contributors of the Linux kernel but I don't think it's a must and I don't see them doing things and keeping that for them secretly.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    Maybe they are not top contributors of the Linux kernel but I don't think it's a must and I don't see them doing things and keeping that for them secretly.
                    A lot of people contribute to the kernel, just not Canonical/Ubuntu. Canonical takes from others and mashes it into Ubuntu, then doesn't contribute anything back.

Hell, Microsoft contributes more to the kernel than Canonical ever has and Microsoft only contributes Hyper-V support.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                      A lot of people contribute to the kernel, just not Canonical/Ubuntu. Canonical takes from others and mashes it into Ubuntu, then doesn't contribute anything back.

Hell, Microsoft contributes more to the kernel than Canonical ever has and Microsoft only contributes Hyper-V support.
                      That's no longer true: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09...l_report_2013/

It was a one time event related to their Hyper-V support. If Canonical had anything to add to the linux kernel in order to get their distro up and running with Linux, they would too.

Upstart was a good contribution from Canonical, although not a Linux component. There are also some kernel patches related to radeon modules.

Comment

Working...
                      X