Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth Challenged Over Mir Comments

Hybrid View

Default Shuttleworth Challenged Over Mir Comments

Phoronix: Shuttleworth Challenged Over Mir Comments

On Friday when announcing the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS codename, Mark Shuttleworth ruffled some feathers by making some critical comments about the Linux users in opposition to Canonical's Mir Display Server. KDE's Aaron Siego has now challenged Mark to a public and live debate over Mir vs. Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDI

I hope Mark or somebody at Canonical will take the challenge. Not because I want to see them fail, but because it would be very interesting.
    I usually love the things Canonical comes up with, the only exception yet was the shopping lense desaster.

Hope this debate takes place, will be quite interested to hear it.

Oh god this is pure gold. Michael when will you start selling popcorn?

I was barely checking the old episode "one guy insults other guys by calling them political loonies", now we have the sequel, "one guy has delusions of grandeur to think everyone is using G+, and not only G+, but following his personal feed in it as well".

*nom nom* waiting for episode 3: revenge of the shit.

KDE Steps forward straight against Canonical!
    Very very interesting! And I am very happy that KDE devs have the guts to deal with M.S. face to face!

The spirit of Steve Jobs flies over Canonical... not quite a good sign for Linux I am afraid...

Well done KDE! You were always my favorite DE since Mandrake 9.1 days! You worth it guys!

Curaga is correct! Pop corn should be included in the Phoronix Premium accounts now Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by djdoo View Post
    Pop corn should be included in the Phoronix Premium accounts now Michael!
    Seconded!

But I guess it could actually be interesting and maybe shed some light on Canonical's intentions. Not that I'd use their software but they still have big fellowship of users.
    I had used it to set up other people's computers back in the days before any new surfaces, shopping lenses or mir projects were probably even thought of. But there are numerous other distributions doing a fine job at being precompiled and quick to install: SuSE, Mageia, RH based ones, other DEB-based ones, ...
    And god bless Gentoo.

Anyone remember Marks little comment here:
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

The next major transition for Unity will be to deliver it on Wayland, the OpenGL-based display management system. Wed like to embrace Wayland early, as much of the work were doing on uTouch and other input systems will be relevant for Wayland and its an area we can make a useful contribution to the project.

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Anyone remember Marks little comment here:
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
    hey they submited like 2 lines of code to Xwayland LOL

smspillaz (Compiz-dev, ex-canonical employee) Also wrote a blog article on Mark's comments / this situation.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2013/...airs/#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Too bad they don't give Qt CLA the same treatment. Double standards
    But that is cross platform, like really cross platform and isn't there a clause that if it gets closed digia has to dump the code to the open source community so they can develop it from there? To me its cross platform effort is like a check and balance against the closed source OS's and the clause is a check and balance against digia and the CLA part is some sort of check and balance against any dev that would try to take it and wall it off or something like that. I'm not a dev so I don't understand these things fully but checks and balances are good IMO.

--

My reply to Mark is;
    I'm just a consumer. I own 2 pc's and I'm a fan of the Nokia dev's that got put out of Nokia so I've owned lots of Nokia phones/tablets. When I heard you took one of the Sailfish dev's libhybris and didn't give him any kind of advanced warning and made this thing called mir instead of contributing to Wayland that pretty much nailed it for me that I won't be using Ubuntu as soon as mir gets added to it. Right now I'm using Kubuntu 13.10 on one laptop and the desktop has Mex distro which is Ubuntu 12.10 with my choice of various DE's (but it's dead due to a hw issue). I've tried various DE's. Cinnamon was no frills and fast, KDE was flexible and not too slow and Unity was just Apple like and I kept hearing on various forums that it slows games down so I did not really like it much.

Nobody is stopping Mir, they are just objecting to it for their own development projects. I object to it because it seems like you are trying to go the Apple route. I think you might be one of those people that will say anything (even the opposite of reality) in order to stay or be a 1%er. People that abuse capitalism are pretty much a major cause of problems in this country. The haves and have nots dichotomy with huge giant differences in assets and revenue is not sustainable over the long run. More sustainable would be the haves and the haves some.