Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mir Come On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Mir Come On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop?

Phoronix: Will Mir Come On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop?

Now that Ubuntu 13.10 has shipped all eyes for those about the bleeding edge Linux are on the latest developments for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. One of the most interesting elements of this next Ubuntu Linux release is whether they will ship Mir as the default display server on the desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mir won't be set as default in Ubuntu 14.04, I guess, it's LTS release so Ubuntu 14.04 need to be as stable as possible.
    I really want to see Mir in the future when it's ready, but not now

Comment

Something tells me that they will have problems with it (Mir) even for the 14.10 release. I would think by the next LTS release they will be using Mir by default.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Will Mir Come On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop?

Now that Ubuntu 13.10 has shipped all eyes for those about the bleeding edge Linux are on the latest developments for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. One of the most interesting elements of this next Ubuntu Linux release is whether they will ship Mir as the default display server on the desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4OTA
        i don't think it will be ready by 14.10 the vaporware Mir is being developed in C++ this will make it 10X harder for the newb developers working on this Mir thingy i don't see it working well at all also just look at how many years they had to work on Unity to just get it 1/2 ass working and if you look we now have Wayland working on desktops what a sham the Vaporware Mir was

Comment

I think it will be baked by 16.04. Anything before that will probably be very buggy and just outright unusable for production purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            i don't think it will be ready by 14.10 the vaporware Mir is being developed in C++ this will make it 10X harder for the newb developers working on this Mir thingy i don't see it working well at all also just look at how many years they had to work on Unity to just get it 1/2 ass working and if you look we now have Wayland working on desktops what a sham the Vaporware Mir was
            well C would really be avoided at all costs. Not because it is a bad language, but because it doesn't have native support for classes. you can kinda make your our workarounds around that, but its better just to use a language that supports classes and inheritance.
            I do agree here. the resources that the FOSS community has for GUI thingies is a joke. Canonical neither has the money nor the brainpower to pull Mir off. In the end, they will just cave in. The big money is in LAMP stacks, SANs, SQL, high-bandwidth networking. The corporate backers do not give a rat's ass about video tearing and multitouch. The desktop side of Linux is essentially a side project hobby. Even Linus doesn't take it seriously.
            The popularity of Android has not helped Linux one bit. The only thing they use is the kernel and even that hasn't been much improved by Android that is relevant for personal computers. Sure you have things like zRAM, but that is a drop in the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              I do agree here. the resources that the FOSS community has for GUI thingies is a joke. Canonical neither has the money nor the brainpower to pull Mir off. In the end, they will just cave in. The big money is in LAMP stacks, SANs, SQL, high-bandwidth networking. The corporate backers do not give a rat's ass about video tearing and multitouch. The desktop side of Linux is essentially a side project hobby. Even Linus doesn't take it seriously.
              The popularity of Android has not helped Linux one bit. The only thing they use is the kernel and even that hasn't been much improved by Android that is relevant for personal computers. Sure you have things like zRAM, but that is a drop in the bucket.
              Home desktop Linux is a joke. Linux workstations, which are often graphical, are huge business. Educational Linux desktops are also increasing considerably in many countries. There is also a number of companies investing in corporate Linux desktops, especially with recent samba improvements and caldav/cardav making Linux business network servers much more competitive with windows and therefore many companies planning to switch to Linux-based internal networks.

The problem isn't with GUI thingies being a joke, it is that home desktops (where Ubuntu is targeting) are not the place to start. If people are using Linux at work, and/or learn it at school, they are much more likely to be using it at home. But they aren't going to switch to Linux at home unless they have some experience with it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                Canonical neither has the money nor the brainpower to pull Mir off. In the end, they will just cave in. The big money is in LAMP stacks, SANs, SQL, high-bandwidth networking. The corporate backers do not give a rat's ass about video tearing and multitouch. The desktop side of Linux is essentially a side project hobby. Even Linus doesn't take it seriously.
                Lets hope that you will be proven wrong because that would mean Canonical has failed in their quest to become the Apple of the linux world. Even though ubuntu is gaining ground in the server, we already have strong linux vendors on that space. We need a strong company to push the client linux to the level of OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Home desktop Linux is a joke.
                  Modern distros are perfectly capable for home usage (web, email, music, videos, office, etc.). As a matter of fact, I found that both unity and kde versions of 13.04 to have finally reached production quality. Now what it needed is modern ui themes for unity and kde, in order to catch up with recent developments in android, ios, windows, and hardware deals. I see HP selling Chrome laptops, which IMO is nonsense, but not ubuntu. Why?
                  Last edited by zoomblab; 18 October 2013, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    Modern distros are perfectly capable for home usage (web, email, music, videos, office, etc.). As a matter of fact, I found that both unity and kde versions of 13.04 to have finally reached production quality. Now what it needed is modern ui themes for unity and kde, in order to catch up with recent developments in android, ios, windows, and hardware deals. I see HP selling Chrome laptops, which IMO is nonsense, but not ubuntu. Why?
                    I am not saying desktop Linux is bad, I use it myself pretty much exclusively. My point is that very few people are going to spontaneously switch to it, most people are comfortable with what they are using and are only likely to switch if they get exposed to it some other way, probably through their education or their job. That is starting to happen now, but it will probably be years before we see it start filtering down to more widespread home usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X