No announcement yet.

Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who prefer pure C there is also Tk.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Your brain must be plugged in backwards.
      Really? Let's see:

if you work in KDE 4 desktop environment then a GTK-Qt engine is available, which updates GTK+ configuration files automatically so that GTK+ appearance is similar to the Qt one
      And what this gtk-qt engine is?

it uses Qt to draw the widget into an offscreen buffer, then draws a copy of the contents of this buffer onscreen.
      It seems gtk doesn't look like shit in KDE, just because KDE developers were so nice and made gtk-qt engine which uses Qt! What about Qt in different environments now:

if you work in other desktop environments, you can choose the QGtkStyle engine (built in Qt), which forces Qt apps to use your GTK+ 2.x theme.
      Last edited by Guest; 17 October 2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I use GTK environments (Cinnamon, formelly Xfce), because I think Qt apps look better in a GTK environment than GTK apps do in a Qt environment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          You obviously didn't look very hard:

To be fair, this is for Qt 4.8. On the other hand, there are no tutorials at all for gtk3.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/
            Yes, I am sure if you search other websites you can also find simple Qt tutorials. The question was about the official homepage.

Comment

Yes, I am sure if you search other websites you can also find simple Qt tutorials. The question was about the official homepage.
              That *is* the official Gtk documentation. And if by "official homepage" you mean gtk.org, then you just go the the Documentation tab, and follow any of the links at the top, which take you to the developer.gnome.org pages that Krejzi referred to.

Comment

Is this official enough?

GTK is a free and open-source cross-platform widget toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.

Clicking on "GTK stable" will take you to the very same page I linked to in previous post.

Also, if you look closely, you can find hyperlink "Documentation" that links to the very same page here

GTK is a free and open-source cross-platform widget toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces.

Comment

For me the question is simple: Want portability? Try Qt. Want your program best for Linux? Use Gtk.
                  Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                  For those who prefer pure C there is also Tk.
                  The value of pure C comes from its excellent ABI compatibility.
                  You may use any modern C compiler to link a C library, but you have to build your own C++ library if you were using a different C++ compiler the one built the C++ library.

I once tried to link my VS2008 program to a VS2005 C++ lib (it's also my own one but I was too lazy to rebuild it). I met many strange problems in debugging.
                  After that, I would build Qt 4.x by myself as Qt's official buildings only (at that time) had VS 2008 version, while I was using VC 2010 Express.
                  Last edited by zxy_thf; 17 October 2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                    I tried to look through the official page for some simple example to get me started but I just ended up on the starting page again pointing me towards Qt creator. A bit frustrating after a while. You probably get a better experience once you get to know the page better.
                    I am not at all familiar with the website, in fact I have never used it before. I just did:
                    http://qt-project.org/ > Documentation > Examples and Tutorials. On the right side there was a pretty clear "select version" if that is what you want.

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                    This page (plus the reference manual) was enough to get me started with gtk:
                    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/sta...g-started.html
                    So in other words you had to go to a completely separate web page from the official gtk page to find the resources you need. How would someone visiting the gtk website for the first time ever guess that they need to go to a completely different website to figure out how to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                      Is this official enough?

Clicking on "GTK stable" will take you to the very same page I linked to in previous post.
                      I see. I never looked there because it never occurred to me that "Hello World" would be under "API Documentation", which on every other language or toolkit website I have been to has the documentation for the API, not "Hello World" examples. Usually such things are under "Examples" or "Tutorials".

Comment

Working...
                      X