Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
    Instead of Qt, why those project don't use WxWidgets? It should adapt on the toolkit you use.
    Less interesting work being done on WxWidgets? Qt is actually pushing forward with big ideas and is coming through. GTK... 3.0 was an evolutionary step, not a revolutionary jump, we'll need to see whats on the roadmap for GTK+ 4 to see if they have any big ideas for the future. WxWidgets...I couldnt even tell you when the last release was or what the version # is, let alone any "Ooh pick me pick me!" Features
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This is a fairly big loss for GTK.

I was just using Wireshark last night wondering if we'd see a GTK3 update.

Comment

GTK+ 3.x is increasingly disappointing. First it was no backwards compatibility with existing 2.x themes. Then the notebook scroll capability was removed. And in the most recent terrible decision from the GNOME people, GTK+ 3.10 now ignores the gtk-menu-images and gtk-button-images settings (cf. https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/co...dc28819ffe0657 and https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/co...93449722198d89), meaning that GTK+ 3.x applications will no longer display icons in menus and on buttons unless said applications explicitly enable them.

Not to mention the default GTK+ 3.x theme looks considerably worse than QT's default under KDE.

I really wish someone would have forked GTK+ 2.x. But since I think it's too late now to save that sinking ship, QT seems the way to go.

Comment

qt stuff looks like ass. Guess I'm going back to terminal for network traffic analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Less interesting work being done on WxWidgets? Qt is actually pushing forward with big ideas and is coming through. GTK... 3.0 was an evolutionary step, not a revolutionary jump, we'll need to see whats on the roadmap for GTK+ 4 to see if they have any big ideas for the future. WxWidgets...I couldnt even tell you when the last release was or what the version # is, let alone any "Ooh pick me pick me!" Features
            wx comes with a *ribbon* widget. And since it uses native widgets where possible, that's a *native ribbon on Windows*. !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
              Instead of Qt, why those project don't use WxWidgets? It should adapt on the toolkit you use.
              Thanks, but no. springlobby client which uses WxWidgets is terribly slow and ugly.

Comment

GTK+ 3.x is increasingly disappointing. First, there was no backwards compatibility with existing GTK+ 2.x themes. Then, the notebook scroll capability was removed. And in the most recent terrible decision from the GNOME people, GTK+ 3.10 now ignores the gtk-menu-images and gtk-button-images settings (cf. https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/co...dc28819ffe0657 and https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/co...93449722198d89), meaning that GTK+ 3.x applications will no longer display icons in menus and on buttons unless the applications explicitly enable them.

Not to mention the default GTK+ 3.x theme looks considerably worse than QT's default under KDE.

I wish GTK+ 2.x would have been forked, but since that ship has now sailed, I believe QT is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  qt stuff looks like ass. Guess I'm going back to terminal for network traffic analysis.
                  That's the only logical course of action.

I don't like the look of GTK, so I do my image editing in a hex editor instead of GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    From the article:
                    Gtk is a third-class citizen on Windows. Gtk3 hasn't even been ported, the latest "stable" Window$ port is an old version of Gtk2 - not the latest Gtk2 version, but an old version of Gtk2.

In other words, it makes perfect sense moving to Qt if you care about OSX and Windows. Even on Linux the Gtk OpenGL support hasn't been ported to Gtk3 yet and no plans for doing so.
                    I'll just leave this here (looks beautiful on Vista btw.).
                    Note that I'm a Qt user myself.

Comment

I have never programmed using Qt before and after reading this article I got motivated enough and wanted to see how it compares to gtk. Turns out I never got as far as writing any code at all. I could not even get started! All they seems to care about is advertising Qt Creator all over the documentation and tutorial pages. What is wrong with a few lines of "hello world" code and a simple gcc command to compile it like they have for gtk. To me Qt now feels extremely bloated, not simple at all and especially not particularly great. The only thing lacking with gtk is proper cross platform support.

Comment

Working...
                      X