No announcement yet.

Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, as has already been discussed countless of times, QtCore alone is hugely bloated. And it's included in every Qt app.

The "will become one" certainly didn't give confidence in that the KDE parts would stay a separate module. If they will, then I have nothing to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      First, as has already been discussed countless of times, QtCore alone is hugely bloated. And it's included in every Qt app.
      It doesn't matter if QtCore has 1 MB or 4 MB as it is shared among applications using mmap.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch.
        Plus GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          Plus GIMP.
          Wouldn't it be ironic for GIMP to move away from GIMP Toolkit?

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
            Is there any problem with irony in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              Is there any problem with irony in general?
              Nah, but in this case it would be very odd. Imagine KDE moving away from the KDE Frameworks to something else ... I can't imagine any of mentioned.

Anyways, there seems to be active gtk3 branch for GIMP, so moving GIMP to Qt isn't likely going to happen (anytime soon).

Edit: There also was a Firefox Qt port back in Nokia days. I doubt though it still works.
              Last edited by Krejzi; 18 October 2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                you sure you're not thinking about GTK apps running under Qt? Qt default theme looks nothing like the 90s

compare:
                [im g]http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/full/win98se.png[/img]

[ ]http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/KDE-4-11-RC-Is-Out-and-Features-OpenGL-Improvements-2.png?1374044258[/img]
                It was an exaggeration on my part. I actually meant early 2000s looks of plastic-themmed XP and KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Care to explain the second part? The best Linux programs I know I made with Qt.
                  afaik while Qt people trying to make Qt more portable, the Gtk guys are focusing on Gnome over Linux.
                  Clearly the Gtk's way would have advantages in exploiting the native platform. However this also changes Gtk from portable API to a de facto Linux/Gnome native API. It may also explain why recent versions of GTK haven's been ported -- they're too "Linux-specific".

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  It doesn't matter if QtCore has 1 MB or 4 MB as it is shared among applications using mmap.
                  Only true on Linux because the distro builds all software.

For Windows and Mac, each application have to ship its own building of Qt. No sharing because of potential DLL-hell.
                  If you used Everything to search QtCore4.dll on your Windows, you'll be surprised so many copies of Qt are on your disk.
                  Last edited by zxy_thf; 18 October 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    as already mentioned there was a patch for kde eg. Qt support in the late "90s see:

Comment

Working...
                    X