Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why SUSE Likes The Btrfs File-System

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Would be really nice to see these snapshotting capabilities of Btrfs come to Debian (apt, apt-get, synaptic, aptitude) too...
    There is "apt-btrfs-snapshot" which I use(d) on Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it's in the Debian repositories, but it works well. I think the only requirement is that your /root must be in a subvolume named "@".

I'm currently using EXT4 for my root partition and for my storage I am using ZFS in a RAIDZ2 array of 4 disks. I must admit it took a while to get my head around ZFS but now I am really liking it, even have a partition of the SSD set up as cache which is working great unlike when I tried the various cache options for EXT4 that just ended badly.

Quote Originally Posted by macemoneta View Post
    We've been running btrfs on multiple systems (desktops and server) in multiple configurations (single, raid0, raid1). After 15 months, we haven't encountered any issues.

I think where people get into trouble with btrfs is that if their system experiences a problem (e.g., power outage), their first thought is to run btrfsck. However, btrfsck is the last thing you should try. The first thing is to just let btrfs resolve any issues on its own; much of the fsck functionality occurs at mount. If that doesn't work, mount with the '-o recovery' option. That lets btrfs go back in time, trying previous filesystem tree roots until it finds one with integrity. You may lose the last few seconds of changes, but your data will be intact.

In fact, btrfs saved me when an external drive was silently corrupting data (hardware fail). Since btrfs checksums data blocks, it reported the issue. SMART indicated no problem with the drive, but in fact it was writing trash. I previously had EXT4 on the drive, and it was silent. The backups I was writing to it were worthless, but until I converted to btrfs I didn't know there was an issue.
    15 months eh? You can't be using it for anything serious then. I tried it a year ago, and it was still ridiculous slow on certain operations, some of them triggered on common stuff like apt-get. The issue only got resolved recently, until then btrfs was effectively USELESS on any Debian based linux distributions.

I stopped using it after I got a corrupted sector and btrfs correctly reported it. Their fsck could also report it. BUT NOTHING COULD FIX IT!!!! I ended up losing more than half of the data on the drive because it was corrupted and there exists no tools to fix errors on btrfs.

Quote Originally Posted by carewolf View Post
    15 months eh? You can't be using it for anything serious then. I tried it a year ago, and it was still ridiculous slow on certain operations, some of them triggered on common stuff like apt-get. The issue only got resolved recently, until then btrfs was effectively USELESS on any Debian based linux distributions.

I stopped using it after I got a corrupted sector and btrfs correctly reported it. Their fsck could also report it. BUT NOTHING COULD FIX IT!!!! I ended up losing more than half of the data on the drive because it was corrupted and there exists no tools to fix errors on btrfs.
    If you're using back-level software that a distribution considers 'stable', you can't expect to have the fixes that the developers have already applied long ago. On Fedora, I run the Rawhide no-debug kernel (currently 3.12.0-0.rc5.git3.2, per: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RawhideKernelNodebug), and the latest btrfs-progs from Koji (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/p...packageID=6398). As I said, no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by carewolf View Post

Fedora and Arch its been working fine for more than 2years here. Don't complain that you had older versions of the tools, kernel, and overall filesystem at your disposal. If you're gonna be testing 'next-gen' stuff you want to be using RECENT software which probably means running a distro that tracks RECENT releases like Fedora or Arch or Gentoo or Debian Unstable. Anything else and all your complaining and problems comes down to "Hey I was using an old version of the software and found bugs!!! Didn't test to see if the new releases fixed them... YOUR GUYS' PAST SUCKS!"

While I am glad that Btrfs is finally going to get some end-user testing, I will continue to be sitting pretty on ext4 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    I am not using it until it has FSCK, Duke Nukem Forever is released, Steam is ported to Linux and Microsoft submits patches to the kernel.
    Looks like all of them are checked

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    I am not using it until it has FSCK, Duke Nukem Forever is released, Steam is ported to Linux and Microsoft submits patches to the kernel.
    Now Nvidia are contributing (Tegra K1) support to the open source Nouvoue drivers.
    Hell must be freezing over.

Quote Originally Posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
    Looks like all of them are checked
    A working fsck thanks. One that just reports there is an error but refuses to do anything about it, is not really usefull. Losing an entire filesystem of data is not acceptable just because btrfs fucks up and refuses to try to access anything unless everything is perfect.