No announcement yet.

Savage 2 Ships For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malikith, could you pls point me to a forum thread ? I did some searching but just ran across windows users.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Malikith, could you pls point me to a forum thread ? I did some searching but just ran across windows users.

"Known Issues Without Workaroudns

Shader issues on ATI cards end up with a number of models being invisible. We will get a patch out as soon as this issue is resolved."

Yes this is a fact. All tested ATi cards in linux have this problem. As of now you got to have a nvidia card if you want to play...
      Hope this gets resolved soon.
      Last edited by ZedDB; 26 March 2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Thanks for posting the link to the thread ZedDB.

I also took a screenshot of the problem, I use a AGP x1600XT:

The Full Resolution Screenshot

You will also notice theres some other small corruption going on, like you can see the "skybox", or at least, the part that forms it as a box.
        Last edited by Malikith; 26 March 2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link.

I've also run into two problems mentioned under "Known Issues With Workarounds" but on a nvidia card.

Comment

Malikith:

According to http://forums.s2games.com/showthread.php?t=9649 , The skybox seams will appear when texture filtering is enabled.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try out the game as of yet. I am not yet an adept at installing from .bin . Although I can expect the game to have problems as I am using fglrx. I'm also experiencing problems with other games as well (Nexuiz, doom3 linux) where the whole system freezes completely. ctrl-alt-bckspc does nothing. The mouse cursor still displays however.... Strangely enough.... Once I reboot, the system won't go through POST. After detecting HDD's, it hangs. I'm using a Ubuntu 8.04 (Ya ya I know, it's Beta software) Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi mobo, Sapphire HD3650 512 DDR2 VGA. I was thinking of kicking the dirt in Bridgman's corner and see if he can confirnm anything or see where he'll kick it himself :?

EDIT: Oh ya, I'm using 1280x720 resolution with 1 CRT (Looks weird) and 1 56" Samsung DLP TV (Looks grrrrrrreat (Lumberg style))

EDIT#2: Composite desktop has no effect on this. It happens regardless of whether Compiz is on or off.

EDIT#3 while I'm at it: There are also problems with Firefox + Adobe Flash + Video (youtube)
            The video will Freeze the windows. Though firefox is still kind of responsive, the page goes out of commission until I force quit. Then it crashes. Other times the browser will just close really fast. This happens on Both Firefox 2 and 3 beta.
            EDIT to this EDIT: This was fixed by enabling xv

Other than that, the system performs very excellently. I can't wait until the support is mature enough for everything to work as intended. Things are progressing nicely!
            Last edited by BlueKoala; 02 April 2008, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Yeah I'm not surprised about the skybox issue with anisotropic filtering enabled. I've seen other games in the past do similar things on various video cards both nVidia and ATI.

As far as gaming on Ubuntu 8.04 beta, I haven't had any issues, but I have had an occasional freeze with the Firefox 3 beta which then I have to kill Firefox off. I assume most of these issues should be cleared up within the next 30 days. I haven't had anything that has been a show stopper.

But when it comes to Savage 2 I do have some issues, just graphically. If a new Savage 2 patch comes out soon along with Catalyst 8.04 next month, I think things should run well. I'd really like to try this game out the way its supposed to be.

Comment

is already there a gentoo ebuild for the ful game or just for the demo?

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                  is already there a gentoo ebuild for the ful game or just for the demo?
                  The demo IS the full game- you just don't get all the features or full servers access if you don't buy and after 5 hours it does something to cripple things a bit further on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    The demo IS the full game- you just don't get all the features or full servers access if you don't buy and after 5 hours it does something to cripple things a bit further on the game.
                    mhh ok... but no ebuild then!? :-D

Comment

Erm, no, it's a commercial installer on it's own...

Comment

Working...
                      X