No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst Beats NVIDIA To Linux 3.12 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if there is any plan about updating catalyst-legacy drivers or not. I expect an update at least about wayland support in the future. Am i too optimistic ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Because if the developers get something wrong they want to be able to fix their mistake. Also they dont want 'abandonware' in the kernel where a third party writes something once, then never re-visits it.
      Following that logic it appears that kernel developers get things wrong very, very frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Following that logic it appears that kernel developers get things wrong very, very frequently.
        Everybody does it for GPU's...

Apple ? Each new OSX -> new gpu drivers + new kernel changes.
        MS ? Each new Win -> new gpu driver models + new kernel changes.
        Linux ? same here...

Get over it. GPU drivers is area of INTENSE development.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          "Wrong" is perspective. "Wrong" could be they made a false assumption about something. "wrong" could be misinterpreting the standard. "Wrong" could be they realized something didn't work out like they thought. "Wrong" could be reverse-engineering was the initial effort and the new code is based upon documentation ( ). "Wrong" could be a code clean up because the last developer was 'happy' with how things were and the new one has higher standards. "Wrong" could be prep work for new features. "Wrong" could be a new way to do things.

By allowing changes they allow things to remain fluid and don't shoot themselves into the foot with promises they cant keep.

This change, in regards to the Nvidia driver, SOUNDS like a pointer or a #define that pointed to a set of numbers was changed into a function which returns the set of numbers. Though thats just a quick reading, I could be wrong on that. Want to know why? Check the kernel's git log and if the summary isn't enough, email the developer.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            Everybody does it for GPU's...

Apple ? Each new OSX -> new gpu drivers + new kernel changes.
            MS ? Each new Win -> new gpu driver models + new kernel changes.
            Linux ? same here...

Get over it. GPU drivers is area of INTENSE development.
            Good point, Prze, even Microsoft breaks backwards compatibility in some form. When they moved to Vista and the new driver model you had to digitally sign any driver that was being kept in the XP-world. Try to load the old driver on a Vista system and it wouldn't work. Is it a code change? No, but it still breaks BC.

The difference is a new Mac version comes out once a year, a new windows version typically comes out every 2 years (though this may be every year now), and in the linux world we get a new version every 2 or 3 months. Why? Release Early. Release Often.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Hey guys honestly now I believe the article is WRONG!

Does anyone of you actually tried to install the 13.11 beta1 fglrx under Kernel 3.12???
              Or just speak hypothetically??

I say it is NOT built under kernel 3.12! Neither under 3.11... Only patched maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                That's not how it works. According to the AMD devs, fglrx has always supported the latest and greatest kernels. It's just that while going through internal testing, those latest and greatest kernels usually become old and outdated.
                AMD is making their proprietary driver mainly for their "supported" distributions.

From the release notes:

Linux Distributions Supported:
                The AMD Catalyst? 13.11 Beta V1 Driver for Linux is designed to support the following Linux distributions:
                Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 6.3 and 6.4
                SUSE? Linux Enterprise 11 SP3
                OpenSUSE 11.4 and 12.1
                Ubuntu 12.04.2 and 13.04
                They support the linux versions these distributions have at the time.

But then, they also write stuff like this in there:
                The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst? Linux graphics driver to install and work optimally:
                gimp-help-en
                [...]

Comment

This is because I just switched to NVidia. Thanks, AMD. I turn around and you start to get your shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    This is because I just switched to NVidia. Thanks, AMD. I turn around and you start to get your shit together.
                    Hahaha! Seems like you had money to throw out of the window man!!
                    Not only drivers are getting better (mostly opensource ones which is the most significant) also the R 2xx hardware is superior to nvidia's cards and even cheaper a great deal.

By the way can someone tell me how the hell I can install Fglrx 13.11 beta 1 under kernel 3.12 to do that testing myself?? Whatever I tried it just does NOT compile the module!

Comment

I can confirm this works.

AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta, Linux 3.12rc5, Ubuntu 13.04.

Comment

Working...
                      X