Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painkiller: Hell & Damnation Now Out For Linux

Phoronix: Painkiller: Hell & Damnation Now Out For Linux

Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, a first person shooter by The Farm 51 and released in 2012 for Windows, is now out for Linux. This Unreal Engine 3 title can be found in beta on Steam for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From here:
    Loading times may be slow because of shader compilations.
    Not much can be done about this because of the way the Unreal Engine 3
    handles shaders.
    I wonder what exactly is their Unreal engine doing wrong, since I'm playing with OpenGL the info might be useful to me too.

Comment

Is that a fine, good looking game? Unreal doesn't say anything about Linux for now:
      http://www.unrealengine.com/en/platforms/

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Is that a fine, good looking game? Unreal doesn't say anything about Linux for now:
        That is simply because they don't support it.

Comment

Unreal is a game. Games typically don't speak. The Unreal Engine is the engine on which the Unreal series games run. The company that makes the Unreal Engine is Epic Games. And Epic Games doesn't say anything about Linux support because the Unreal Engine doesn't support it in mainline right now (all the ports are done manually by the individual game developers). It may or may not change once Unreal Engine 4 is officially released, though.

Comment

Almost confused painkiller with killing floor

I hope they add native exporting like Unity does.

A lot of unreal engine games have come so far , but they had to do the work manually.

They're losing a lot of developers to unity.

Even cryEngine and maybe the Frostbite engine are looking to support linux at some point.
            Last edited by madjr; 16 October 2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              From here:
              I wonder what exactly is their Unreal engine doing wrong, since I'm playing with OpenGL the info might be useful to me too.
              Translating compiled D3D shader bytecode to assembly-like GLSL and compiling and linking it all over again. Also, GLSL is processed twice - first time when you compile a shader object, then again when you link a program. Lots of overhead compared to D3D, where you just load up the compiled bytecode and that's it - you're good to go. Well, the driver converts the D3D bytecode to native GPU code behind the scenes, but it's all binary, so it's fast.

All of this is done on the THOUSANDS of shaders that the game has.

And no, the shader binary extension doesn't really help.

Comment

Steam OS Rocks!!!

Comment

Anyone else notice that they waited for a week or so after the game got off the humble weekly sale before announcing this was ready for Linux?

Comment

The game is painfully slow on an i7 4770, 4Gb + GeForce GT 620... is this normal ?

Comment

Working...
                    X