Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Tearings or no tearings?

When gaming, you have usually two options:

. Have the latest frame possible drawn on screen (but could have tearings because we change the frame when it is being displayed)
    . Wait a bit more to display new frames, and then avoid tearings.

This poll is about what you like the best.
    Display the latest frame possible, even if I get tearings
    0.00%
    Delay the frame a bit, if it enables to avoid tearings
    20.00%
    Cap the fps to the refresh rate, to avoid tearings and decrease power usage
    80.00%

Useless poll which serves no purpose at all. And wrong too. The last option's statement is wrong. FPS capping doesn't reduce tearing.

Comment

Right, capping the fps to the screen refresh does not solve the tearing problem, but can reduce it.

Today, first option is taken by X, second is taken for Weston (and next release of XWayland for dri2 applications), third is considered for Wayland egl applications (but It may end up being the second solution) as a temporary solution waiting a new feature( cancelling a flip request).
      Last edited by mannerov; 16 October 2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        Today, first option is taken by X, second is taken for Weston (and next release of XWayland for dri2 applications), third is considered for Wayland egl applications (but It may end up being the second solution) as a temporary solution waiting a new feature( cancelling a flip request).
        I forgot to precise these examples are when you don't choose to use vsync. Of couse, when you use vsync, the application is capped to the screen refresh.
        And capping to the screen refresh everytime for egl Wayland applications is only considered for fullscreen applications.

Comment

Max possible frames. No vsync, no FPS cap. I rarely ever see tearing and if I do it doesn't bother me.

HD content on the other hand, vsync is a must. I can see tearing very clearly in 720/1080p content very easily and it's annoying.

Comment

Absolutely no tearing, and capping to the screen's rate in order to save power. Burning 100% cpu only to produce 500 fps you won't see = hot laptop, short battery life.

Comment

Working...
            X