Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Phoronix: Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Yesterday I published benchmarks showing the AMD Radeon graphics being much faster on Linux 3.12. Ten graphics cards were benchmarked and many of them were showing rather remarkable OpenGL frame-rate performance improvements when moving from the Linux 3.11 to Linux 3.12 Git kernel. This large comparison came after benchmarks I did this weekend on a single Radeon HD graphics card showed the Linux 3.12 kernel delivering the best performance of any recent kernel release. The only thing was, this AMD Radeon performance improvement baffled the upstream developers. The AMD developers were taken off-guard and didn't have an explanation why the Linux 3.12 kernel performance is faster... Now thanks to automated testing and bisecting by the Phoronix Test Suite, I have an answer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so gaming above 60fps should basically be done on performance govenor..? are there other workloads that could benefit from it?

Comment

It's strange that the CPU workload is not so high, but an increase in frequency changes so much the performance.

Comment

So, is this really a improvement?

It just means the open source AMD radeon driver depends too much on the cpu instead of, duh, the processing power of the graphic card.
        The other drivers are not affected because they actually use the graphic card instead of the CPU.

Also I don't think always keeping the CPU on its limit is good either, I can imagine there is much more power wasted now since the goal for power saving is too sleep as much as possible and when in use, on a frequency as low as possible.

Am I wrong? Maybe, but I doubt this really is the "next big thing"

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Yesterday I published benchmarks showing the AMD Radeon graphics being much faster on Linux 3.12. Ten graphics cards were benchmarked and many of them were showing rather remarkable OpenGL frame-rate performance improvements when moving from the Linux 3.11 to Linux 3.12 Git kernel. This large comparison came after benchmarks I did this weekend on a single Radeon HD graphics card showed the Linux 3.12 kernel delivering the best performance of any recent kernel release. The only thing was, this AMD Radeon performance improvement baffled the upstream developers. The AMD developers were taken off-guard and didn't have an explanation why the Linux 3.12 kernel performance is faster... Now thanks to automated testing and bisecting by the Phoronix Test Suite, I have an answer.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19208
          http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...esa-perfomance - 05-02-2013

Comment

As I remember developers from Croteam discover that default ondemand governor slow down their engine in Novermber of 2012. They recommend everyone switch to performance governor before starting Serious Sam 3. Hopefully, we probably doesn't need switch to performance governor any more.
            Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 15 October 2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Do these changes affect GPU's from the SI series?

Comment

Nice job, this is the sort of stuff I was hoping for with per-commit benchmarking. And it's already working before it really got started! :P

Comment

Why use ondemand in the first place?

Why are we using ondemand for benchmarking in the first place? Benchmarking should be done to see what the system can do in terms of performance and using performance governor should be the "default" in that scenario. Does Michael use ondemand because he's interested in power consumption as well?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    As I remember developers from Croteam discover that default ondemand governor slow down their engine in Novermber of 2012. They recommend everyone switch to performance governor before starting Serious Sam 3. Hopefully, we probably doesn't need switch to performance governor any more.
                    Additionally, the game locks threads on cores.

Comment

Working...
                    X