Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Hybrid View

Default Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Phoronix: Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Yesterday I published benchmarks showing the AMD Radeon graphics being much faster on Linux 3.12. Ten graphics cards were benchmarked and many of them were showing rather remarkable OpenGL frame-rate performance improvements when moving from the Linux 3.11 to Linux 3.12 Git kernel. This large comparison came after benchmarks I did this weekend on a single Radeon HD graphics card showed the Linux 3.12 kernel delivering the best performance of any recent kernel release. The only thing was, this AMD Radeon performance improvement baffled the upstream developers. The AMD developers were taken off-guard and didn't have an explanation why the Linux 3.12 kernel performance is faster... Now thanks to automated testing and bisecting by the Phoronix Test Suite, I have an answer.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19208

so gaming above 60fps should basically be done on performance govenor..? are there other workloads that could benefit from it?

It's strange that the CPU workload is not so high, but an increase in frequency changes so much the performance.

So, is this really a improvement?

It just means the open source AMD radeon driver depends too much on the cpu instead of, duh, the processing power of the graphic card.
    The other drivers are not affected because they actually use the graphic card instead of the CPU.

Also I don't think always keeping the CPU on its limit is good either, I can imagine there is much more power wasted now since the goal for power saving is too sleep as much as possible and when in use, on a frequency as low as possible.

Am I wrong? Maybe, but I doubt this really is the "next big thing"

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    It just means the open source AMD radeon driver depends too much on the cpu instead of, duh, the processing power of the graphic card.
    The other drivers are not affected because they actually use the graphic card instead of the CPU.
    Nouveau results are still outstanding, but seeing the faster Radeons being affected the most by this, Intel's GPUs might just be too slow to need much CPU to keep them fed with data to render.

Also I don't think always keeping the CPU on its limit is good either, I can imagine there is much more power wasted now since the goal for power saving is too sleep as much as possible and when in use, on a frequency as low as possible.

Unfortunately that's how the Evergreens work.
    Most of AMD's GPUs are really lack of protections on hardware, so the driver needs to handle all the secure issues.

SI GPUs have improved a lot but not enough. Hoping GCN2 will give me some surprise.

The GPU can only operate as fast as it can be fed data. If you have a slow CPU, you may not be able to feed the GPU data fast enough to fully utilize it's potential. This is why the lower end GPUs don't see as large an increase in performance with increased CPU speed compared to the high end GPUs. It's always a trade off. For a lot of people, saving the extra power from keeping the CPU (and GPU) clocked lower more of the time is probably more important than having maximum 3D performance. For gamers the opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The GPU can only operate as fast as it can be fed data. If you have a slow CPU, you may not be able to feed the GPU data fast enough to fully utilize it's potential. This is why the lower end GPUs don't see as large an increase in performance with increased CPU speed compared to the high end GPUs. It's always a trade off. For a lot of people, saving the extra power from keeping the CPU (and GPU) clocked lower more of the time is probably more important than having maximum 3D performance. For gamers the opposite is true.
    Was wondering when you were gonna chime in Alex haha.

I guess we'll need to wait for Michael's power consumption benchmarks to figure out if this is a good change in the subsystem or not... I mean yes we're getting higher performance, but what about non-gaming workloads? Is 3.12 going to kill battery life (compared to 3.11) because of this change? For gaming I have no problem with higher power consumption, its expected. But what about flash? Or other 'constant' workloads that DON'T require maxxed out freqs.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Here's Why Radeon Graphics Are Faster On Linux 3.12

Yesterday I published benchmarks showing the AMD Radeon graphics being much faster on Linux 3.12. Ten graphics cards were benchmarked and many of them were showing rather remarkable OpenGL frame-rate performance improvements when moving from the Linux 3.11 to Linux 3.12 Git kernel. This large comparison came after benchmarks I did this weekend on a single Radeon HD graphics card showed the Linux 3.12 kernel delivering the best performance of any recent kernel release. The only thing was, this AMD Radeon performance improvement baffled the upstream developers. The AMD developers were taken off-guard and didn't have an explanation why the Linux 3.12 kernel performance is faster... Now thanks to automated testing and bisecting by the Phoronix Test Suite, I have an answer.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19208
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...esa-perfomance - 05-02-2013