Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ATI drivers - black screen, system freeze and crash. Anyone in the same boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, this helps. If you're running an HD2600 then UMA and Sideport are not an issue for you anyways -- they just affect the IGP parts (graphics integrated into the Northbridge part of the chipset on your motherboard).

Is your card AGP or PCIE (PCI Express) ?
    PCIE.

Is it safe to assume there are no built-in graphics on your motherboard ?
    It'd be a very unsafe assumption. There is on-board graphics. From what I can tell from the BIOS, they don't matter if there is a video card installed.

Comment

FIX: problems with urbanterror / hard freeze lock

Not using AIGLX at this point, just wanted to get urbanterror working.

I'm feeling stupid for not trying this first, I was running all 3D options on in fc7, but it wasn't required to play games.

Set all 3D options on (always on) using amdcccle !

more here

I played for about 30 minutes no problems. It was locking withing the first 10min. or less consistently.

If you are having any kind of hard locks or freezing regardless if its games, try this first.

Fedora 8 ATI x1250 IGP 128MB

Good Luck.
      Last edited by c247; 01 April 2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

OK, this helps. If you're running an HD2600 then UMA and Sideport are not an issue for you anyways -- they just affect the IGP parts (graphics integrated into the Northbridge part of the chipset on your motherboard).

Is your card AGP or PCIE (PCI Express) ?

Is it safe to assume there are no built-in graphics on your motherboard ?

Can someone jump in and point out where the relevant logs are for OpenSuSE ? I *think* they're in the same place on most Linux distros but don't want to mislead.
        In the absence of any clarification of the location of these logs, I decided to look into /var/logs/, and I found Xorg.0.log. Here's what the end of it looked like:

(II) fglrx(0): driver needs X.org 7.1.x.y with x.y >= 0.0
        (II) fglrx(0): detected X.org 7.1.0.0
        (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
        (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
        (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
        (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
        (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
        (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
        (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
        (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xc0000000 FBMappedSize: 0x10000000
        (WW) fglrx(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xd0000000,0x10000000)
        (II) fglrx(0): FBMM initialized for area (0,0)-(1728,8191)
        (II) fglrx(0): FBMM auto alloc for area (0,0)-(1728,1050) (front color buffer - assumption)
        (II) fglrx(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1728 x 7141
        (==) fglrx(0): Backing store disabled
        (II) Loading extension FGLRXEXTENSION
        (II) Loading extension ATITVOUT
        (**) fglrx(0): DPMS enabled
        (WW) fglrx(0): Textured Video not supported without DRI enabled.
        (II) LoadModule: "glesx"
        (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//glesx.so

Let me know if you want to see more of the file.

Comment

I've got a similar problem on my T60p [2623-DDU, FireGL V5200]. Since around v8.41, fglrx loads fine, but after five minutes or so, the screen goes black. The backlight is still on, but the display is blank. The system is still responsive, but nothing's visible. Switching to console and back doesn't help. Any ideas what might be causing this and/or how to fix it? (I'm currently running the latest radeon driver from git, and while it is stable, I'd like to be able to use 3D acceleration right now.)

Comment

I think Dave Airlie might have the same laptop -- if so 3D can't be far away

Seriously, please keep feeding us information re: anything else that might be happening around the time the screen goes blank. I don't remember seeing this specific problem before, but if anyone else has please sing out.
            Last edited by bridgman; 04 April 2008, 06:01 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Seriously, please keep feeding us information re: anything else that might be happening around the time the screen goes blank. I don't remember seeing this specific problem before, but if anyone else has please sing out.
              It seems to be completely random. Sometimes, it happens when the KDE splash screen's onscreen; other times, it happens while the system has been idle for some time. Then other times, it happens while I'm in the middle of actually doing something (which is REALLY irritating).

Though I did notice one thing; it seems as if the time is cumulative throughout X sessions. Suppose the blanking always happens at 10 minutes of usage. If I start X for 7 minutes, then exit X, the screen will blank 3 minutes into the next X session if I haven't rebooted. I'll have to do some actual timing with a stopwatch to check this.

EDIT: I ran a test. The system was idle for 30 minutes, and the screen didn't blank. So I guess it has something to do with GLX or some other library that causes things to screw up.

EDIT 2: It's definitely GLX. I ran glxgears for testing to make sure hardware acceleration was enabled. Less than a minute after closing glxgears, I got a white screen. The system was still responsive, but nothing showed up onscreen.
              Last edited by GerbilSoft; 04 April 2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Is there any chance a screen saver is kicking in and failing somehow ?
                Test signature

Comment

xscreensaver is set to a time interval of 15 minutes. When I did the idle check, the screen saver did activate, and it functioned normally.

I did some more tests with GL apps, and almost immediately (up to a minute or so later) after running any GL app, the black/white/corrupted/etc screen appeared. I believe this didn't happen with 8.40 (the last fglrx I used), so it might have something to do with the new libGL introduced in 8.41.
                  Last edited by GerbilSoft; 04 April 2008, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zappbrannigan View Post
                    Have you read
                    my thread ? My 4GB 64bit system hangs also with a black screen. I fixed my mtrr table. Please dump yours with
                    Code:
                    cat /proc/mtrr
                    Or try to turn off memory remap in your bios.

here you go with mine:

reg00: base=0xd0000000 (3328MB), size= 256MB: uncachable, count=1
                    reg01: base=0xe0000000 (3584MB), size= 512MB: uncachable, count=1
                    reg02: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size=4096MB: write-back, count=1
                    reg03: base=0x100000000 (4096MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
                    reg04: base=0x120000000 (4608MB), size= 256MB: write-back, count=1

Comment

It seems the black screen problem was a hardware issue. I had my ThinkPad's system board replaced due to a broken VGA port, and the black screen problem no longer happens.

fglrx is still rather slow at 2D, so I'm sticking with radeon for now. Hopefully radeon/radeonhd will gain 3D acceleration support for R5xx soon!

Comment

Working...
                      X