Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12

Phoronix: The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12

Over the weekend I released benchmarks showing the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing big AMD Radeon performance improvements. Those benchmarks of a Radeon HD 4000 series GPU showed the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing major performance improvements over Linux 3.11 and prior. Some games improved with just low double-digit gains while other Linux games were nearly 90% faster! Interestingly, the AMD Radeon Linux developers were even surprised by these findings. After carrying out additional tests throughout the weekend, I can confirm these truly incredible performance improvements on other hardware. In this article are results from ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I disabled Adblock to click on some ads but unfortunately it seems the university's proxy blocks the ads too. Willing or not it seems I'm not going to see the (in)famous phoronix ads
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What about the power consumption?

My radeon 4650, with kernels 3.8~3.10, used to power-shortage my desktop PC (due to an underpowered PSU) and cause unpredictable halts and reboots. 3.11 seems to work fine, how will 3.12 run?

Comment

Very nice results overall

...but i still wanted results using AMD APUs using their iGPU alone w/o discrete cards to have an idea of the state_of_the_art of OSS drivers in that type of hardware.

...and another thing....can we also change gart in Lilo in similar way to Grub, right ?
        Last edited by AJSB; 14 October 2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Was DPMS enabled for these tests?

Comment

... now do it with an up-to-date GPU.

I can't wait for the day the 7xxx series (and the upcoming 2xx series) gets this kind of performance as well.

Comment

Michael, thank you for your continuous tests, but can you include other more tangible games in your analysis?

I guess many people will be really annoyed by my proposal, but I'd really like to see some present and past heavy-weights like:

3DMark 2006 (running in Wine, of course)
              StarCraft II (ditto)
              Fallout 3 (ditto)
              Counter Strike Global Offensive (native)

The games you're currently testing are inconclusive in regard to modern GPU requirements.

Comment

Somehow this made be just buy the phoronix premium. Having used adblock for years its only fair i think.

But as the previous commentator said, how about some more modern games? There isn't much point in knowing that a game will get 300 or 320 fps, what is more important is to know if some modern games run at 20 or 40 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Asraniel View Post
                  Somehow this made be just buy the phoronix premium. Having used adblock for years its only fair i think.
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by Asraniel View Post
                  But as the previous commentator said, how about some more modern games? There isn't much point in knowing that a game will get 300 or 320 fps, what is more important is to know if some modern games run at 20 or 40 fps.
                  With most games being distributed via Steam, see: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxMzY

For Wine games or others, new PTS test profiles are welcome and would be glad to run them.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    Very nice results overall

...but i still wanted results using AMD APUs using their iGPU alone w/o discrete cards to have an idea of the state_of_the_art of OSS drivers in that type of hardware.

...and another thing....can we also change gart in Lilo in similar way to Grub, right ?
                    +1!! we need this review

Comment

Working...
                    X