No announcement yet.

The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After experimenting with Catalyst 13.1 legacy and open source driver (HD4850) in the beginning of this year, I was unsatisfied with performance and bugs in drivers and used only Windows on my home PC. But after experimenting with Ubuntu 13.10 yesterday, I was very surprised how much improvement is done to open source radeon driver. Especially in 3D performance. After a while I have hope that I can do some gaming on Linux.

Comment

Michael, the first page mentions r500/X1950 testing, but it's nowhere.

Comment

I've only got an HD6450, and while weak it's still performing really well on those benchmarks considering.

76FPS with 3.12 @ 1080p? Nice. I game at 1280x1024, so my FPS would surely be a lot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Michael, the first page mentions r500/X1950 testing, but it's nowhere.
          Whoops, originally it was tested but then realized I forgot to build r300g (since originally intended to just do R600 cards until the comparison got larger and larger) on Mesa 10.0-devel so instead it was using Mesa 9.2.1 so decided to just drop it since it wasn't the same as the rest of the GPUs, but regardless, in the tests its performance hadn't changed.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Catalyst

Comparing the catalyst results for HD 6950 from this article, the OSS driver is as fast as or faster than Catalyst BUT in the reaction quake test. In the later, catalyst has ~500 FPS where radeon has some 300 FPS...

Nice! I'm wondering what performance level the SI driver will reach, as soon as it is feature complete...

Comment

Thanks for your hard work, Michael.
              I wished your work would be more appreciated by the corporates.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Michael, thank you for your continuous tests, but can you include other more tangible games in your analysis?

I guess many people will be really annoyed by my proposal, but I'd really like to see some present and past heavy-weights like:

3DMark 2006 (running in Wine, of course)
                StarCraft II (ditto)
                Fallout 3 (ditto)
                Counter Strike Global Offensive (native)

The games you're currently testing are inconclusive in regard to modern GPU requirements.
                First point is that these titles are not linux-friendly at all. Wine is not a viable option for many of these titles. It costs a lot (and I know what I'm doing, I tried).

Even if we were able to run it confortably, or even better native linux support, a major issue stays : you can't get them automated, even more if they are available through steam. Just remember how PTS works : it downloads all the stuff the profile selected need through distro repositories. Hence no closed-source games can be found there.

Maybe you can help with that, by trying to open game publishers' eyes. You'll have to deal with shareholders, that only see cash and DRM. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Michael, thank you for your continuous tests, but can you include other more tangible games in your analysis?

I guess many people will be really annoyed by my proposal, but I'd really like to see some present and past heavy-weights like:

3DMark 2006 (running in Wine, of course)
                  StarCraft II (ditto)
                  Fallout 3 (ditto)
                  Counter Strike Global Offensive (native)

The games you're currently testing are inconclusive in regard to modern GPU requirements.
                  The annoying thing is the fact that you asked a question that has been asked a bajillion times already in basically every GPU test Michael has made for the past couple of years, even though there are explicit reasons more "tangible games" are not involved.

Ironic you mentioned 3DMark, SC2, and F3 as being more tangible games, considering running them (in wine) would give you completely useless scores due to wine's ever-changing nature. While they are more graphically demanding, they still don't take advantage of modern hardware due to wine's graphical restrictions. The only wine tests that should be done are benchmarks between other versions of wine and that's it. That being said, it would actually be nice to see PTS benchmarks in wine. So basically comparing the same test between windows, linux, and wine.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 14 October 2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                    Even if we were able to run it confortably, or even better native linux support, a major issue stays : you can't get them automated, even more if they are available through steam. Just remember how PTS works : it downloads all the stuff the profile selected need through distro repositories. Hence no closed-source games can be found there.
                    Closed-source games can be found there...

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

etc....

It's also possible to test wine games:

PTS only relies upon distro repositories for test dependencies, e.g. downloading GCC or some library, but all of the test codes/programs themselves are downloaded directly from upstream sources. I have no issues with testing closed-source games, I just care that they can be automated well and deliver reproducible and accurate results.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for the testing! Very interesting results. I'm seriously considering moving off the Catalyst-Legacy (w/Ubuntu 13.04) to the Radeon Driver and Ubuntu 13.10 for my HD4200. I'll try and benchmark it.

Comment

Working...
                      X