AbiWord 3.0 Released With Many Changes, GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theghost View Post
    Instead of developing and wasting time in yet another office, it would be great if all developer join and support LibreOffice, which is the best office suite on Linux for productional usage.
    I mean, just look at Calligra Word. It's unusable, everytime I try to do some serios work with it, I end up in a bug. I just gave it up and stick to LibreOffice (although it has some flaws too).
    According to Wikipedia, the initial release of AbiWord was isi.. ...december of 1998.

KOffice started in October, 2000.

OpenOffice.org had the first release only in 2002.

So, in your logic, the LibreOffice developers should join to AbiWord or KOffice (now Calligra), because the wheel already existed when LibreOffice was started. They were reinventing the wheel, and the worst, using Java.

Hey, this is FOSS. Each application has its merits.

Comment

I haven't used Abiword in a while, but while we're posting impressions about it

- it's way gnome-centric; clicking URLs did not work in non-gnome environments. Probably still doesn't work.
      - 2.3, 2.6 and 2.8 were quite buggy. They suddenly crash, and fail to show some documents properly.

I too was initially drawn to it for the light footprint, but the stability and features leaving things to be desired, jumped ship to Go-OO (now Libreoffice).

Comment

AbiWord is nice IMHO, but the need for their own format (instead of just using odt as default) and the lags I experienced on the lates stable (might be solved) wont make me use it...

BTW does it use the new Gnome close button?

Comment

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
          According to Wikipedia, the initial release of AbiWord was...december of 1998.

KOffice started in October, 2000.

OpenOffice.org had the first release only in 2002.

So, in your logic, the LibreOffice developers should join to AbiWord or KOffice (now Calligra), because the wheel already existed when LibreOffice was started. They were reinventing the wheel, and the worst, using Java.
          I found some old StarOffice CD's the other day...

Comment

If they manage to build in EPub 3.x compliance it will be a big win for them. Using Abiword to publish EPub 3.x books, etc., for iOS and other platforms is what I'm hinting at.

Comment

Ahh, Abiword, such dear memories I have with you.

I can still remember how you nearly corrupted 2 days of work that were due the next day,
              how you were released as a stable version when meanwhile you completely crashed when inserting an png encoded picture,
              how my last resort was to scrap together and save as much of my work as possible and drag my half dead body to OpenOffice.

I miss you so much.

Comment

Working...
              X