Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Phoronix: Valve Updates Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Valve has updated the Linux build of the popular Left 4 Dead 2 game to fix some crashers and add microphone support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should've also implemented the gl_finish console option for those of us running Catalyst drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      They should've also implemented the gl_finish console option for those of us running Catalyst drivers!
      In case you refer to the mouse lag bug check out the catalyst 13.10 beta drivers. I tested source games (Portal, HL2:Lost Cost, HL2: EP2) and they work just great! VEry good performance.
      Maxed out graphics on AMD A10-5800K.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        In case you refer to the mouse lag bug check out the catalyst 13.10 beta drivers. I tested source games (Portal, HL2:Lost Cost, HL2: EP2) and they work just great! VEry good performance.
        Maxed out graphics on AMD A10-5800K.
        Good to know, as I've been using 13.8 until now. I'll install 13.10 beta 2 and give L4D2 a whirl.

Comment

L4D2 seems to be a tough nut to crack. It's still listed as Beta on Linux and I see a lot of bugs. I still can't play it full-time due to a variety of issues. However, other Source games like HL2 and Portal seem to be flawless in my experience. I'm kind of surprised by the disparity. L4D2 must be a much more complex game.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            L4D2 seems to be a tough nut to crack. It's still listed as Beta on Linux and I see a lot of bugs. I still can't play it full-time due to a variety of issues. However, other Source games like HL2 and Portal seem to be flawless in my experience. I'm kind of surprised by the disparity. L4D2 must be a much more complex game.
            Maybe that explain why portal 2 and CS:GO are still not available to download in linux, probably newer ones are games a lot more complex than the older ones. They were hurried up only with LFD2 to bring it faster to linux.

Comment

This thing has been in beta for a long time now and there's no sign of it going out of beta. I guess they're only occasionally working on it.

Comment

From what I understand, most of Valve's development team is working on Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2 engine, and SteamOS. You can bet that Source 2 will be using OpenGL instead of Direct3D and HL3/L4D3 releasing on it will run perfectly on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X