Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great On Linux

At Phoronix we have delivered a ton of Intel Haswell coverage and when it comes to the much-improved graphics capabilities on these latest-generation processors we have tested the HD Graphics 4600 that's commonly found on the Core i5/i7 desktop CPUs and the high-end Iris Pro 5200 graphics found on a few processors. For low-end Intel Core i3 "Haswell" CPUs there is also the HD Graphics 4400 model, which is what we're testing today. The Intel HD Graphics 4400 comparison is being compared on Ubuntu Linux to a variety of other Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell graphics cores.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does the 4400 gpu included in the newer i3 compare with a geforce 9650m gt 1gb video card?

Comment

Prices

Michael, in the future could you add (Newegg?) prices for each of them at the beginning of the article? That way you can estimate the bang for your buck.

Current prices on Newegg:
      - Intel Core i3 2120 - Sandy Bridge - HD Graphics 2000: $124.99
      - Intel Core i5 3470 - Ivy Bridge - HD Graphics 2500: $189.99
      - Intel Core i5 2500K - Sandy Bridge - HD Graphics 3000: $274.86
      - Intel Core i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - HD Graphics 4000: $319.99
      - Intel Core i3 4130 - Haswell - HD Graphics 4400 $129.99
      - Intel Core i7 4770K - Haswell - HD Graphics 4600: $339.99

All prices list are Newegg, except for the i5 2500K is actually amazon price because it's a discontinued processor, no longer sold on newegg.

Comment

I've tried to run the test on my asus pro5av notebook, but it hangs on the xonotic test (even alt+sys+REISUB does not restart the pc and I've to brutally power it off).
        How can I solve?
        Xwang

Comment

Originally posted by Xwang View Post
          I've tried to run the test on my asus pro5av notebook, but it hangs on the xonotic test (even alt+sys+REISUB does not restart the pc and I've to brutally power it off).
          How can I solve?
          Xwang
          Can you access a virtual terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2)?

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
            Can you access a virtual terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2)?
            No. The pc is totally locked.
            Xwang

Comment

Hi, I recently bought a dell E7440 with an i7-4600U witch have an HD Graphics 4400 (that's why I'm posting this here).
              So first thing I did was to shrink the Win8 partition, install Linux Mint 16 on it and launching some steam games (Portal2, L4D2 and CS sorurce). Performances where great (always above 30fps) but after around 10 minutes of gameplay the frame rate is always dropping to something like 10fps. I thought it was due to overheating so I installed a temperature monitoring tool and temperature while playing was around 75 degrees which is acceptable I think. I also tried to run a cpuburn tool, got the cpu around 80 degrees, started a game and surprisingly the frame rate was fine... but again for the first 10 minutes of gameplay...

Does anyone here experienced similar results? Or do you have an idea on what this could be?

Thanks

Comment

Perhaps it runs out of VRAM at that point, and starts swapping to RAM? See if you can increase the stolen RAM amount.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Perhaps it runs out of VRAM at that point, and starts swapping to RAM? See if you can increase the stolen RAM amount.
                  Hum, that's an idea thanks ;-) I guess this can be done in the BIOS settings (at least it was like this with my AMD APU). I will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Coloneil View Post
                    Hum, that's an idea thanks ;-) I guess this can be done in the BIOS settings (at least it was like this with my AMD APU). I will give it a try.
                    I can't find this settings in the BIOS, is it possible to do this on the OS side?

Comment

Working...
                    X