Transferring from D to C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring from D to C

I have two physical drives, one of which is partitioned.
    Therefore, I now have C which is my system drive and D and E which are the drives I use for my video work. C drive is getting dangerously low on space, like down from it's initial 20g to now less than 500Mg. I would like to build it back up to about 5g, using either D and E. How can I do this? Step by step explanation would be nice. I don't know too much about computers.

Originally posted by alfredsvideo View Post
    I have two physical drives, one of which is partitioned.
    Therefore, I now have C which is my system drive and D and E which are the drives I use for my video work. C drive is getting dangerously low on space, like down from it's initial 20g to now less than 500Mg. I would like to build it back up to about 5g, using either D and E. How can I do this? Step by step explanation would be nice. I don't know too much about computers.
    well, with windows the only way to do this is to backup you data and reinstall your system. but this is a long and not simple matter.
    the best choice is to create a directory on one of the other drives (eg. d:\Temp) where to move all the temporary folders from the c drive. also when installing new stuff you could install it on one of the other partitions.
    the last thing is to move your swap from drive c to another drive.
    when i was still using windows i was using 3 types of drives:
    c for system 10gb - 15gb
    d for temp 5 gb
    e for data (including documents and settings) the rest

in your condition i'd just move all the data from e to d after doing a backup of the data (use the computer management tool to redimension the partitions but be aware that it could fail and you'll need a backup before doing this) and set the e partition to 5gb. then put on it windows swap, windows temporary folders, iexplore folders ecc and put on d:\Documents and Settings the data partitions. in this way you'll see your c drive moving up with the space. Just remember to copy the C:\Documents and Settings\ contents to the new place. you'll need then to change the settings of the folder. to do this the best choice is using x-setup. search for the folders plugins in x-setup and move the folders to the new location. after you've set everything then just reboot to have the new settings ok and you're done.

ps. if you're not sure about what to do then google around on these steps since they might break your system if not done correctly. i'm not to be held responsible of you losing data because you haven't understood well what you'll need to do.

Comment

Working...
    X