No announcement yet.

Total War: Rome II To Be Ported To Linux For SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cost of releasing for linux is much less if you program in a multi-platform friendly way from the start of development. Not write for windows (or consoles) and get around to considering other platforms post release.

Comment

0Ad is a fine strategy game

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      actually Steam is said to have 50M users. So 1% means there could be as much as 500,000 linux users/ accounts (sometimes even 2% when dual booters boot back to linux and get their games).

5M is the daily "Concurrent Steam Users". See the stats. So yea at any one day there might be 50k linux users online.

you can try 0.A.D. and see if you like the Genre.
      I've enjoyed 0ad for nearly a year. Yes, Romans is one of the included civilizations. Be aware that 3 or more player games against the AI will bog down badly (on the CPU) but can still be played. I've never played a multi-human player game, but that would take the AI resource use out of the equation for big games on big maps. Single player against one AI player works pretty well, though setting the AI to high levels of skill can again bog down the CPU. That would be intolerable in a first person shooter but has little effect on the core function of a strategy game.

I've literally never tried a commercial game since the early 1980's generaton of consoles, so I cannot compare 0ad's gameplay or function to a commercial strategy game. I do recall one of them being advertised as optimized for a then-new 6-core Intel processor, implying these could be among the most CPU intensive of all games due to the number of characters on the board. If it were possible to configure 0ad as a miltiplayer game on one machine, with each CPU core playing an AI game, and yourself playing a live game, the CPU issue in Oad would be solved. All it would require would be a way to permit joining a game in progress with the AI instead of yourself playing and keep those instances playing when moved to another workspace. Some way to reduce the resolution of the AI games to near zero would be desirable to minimize GPU load, though I've seen little difference between a Radeon 5570 and a 6750 for this game. The GPU doesn't even get hot, the load is on the CPU. This approach would permit one CPU thread per AI instance, plus one for this high-rez game actually being played, without rewriting the single-threaded game engine. Sort of an Xorg-style server-client on one machine approach.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        That's the only advantage of SteamOS right now. Developers got an awareness that they can and should port their games, which are already available on MacOsX, to linux too.

Whether the SteamMachines will be a success is to be doubted. Why should someone buy a PC only with a gaming OS, when he can also use Windows with Steam's Big Picture Mode. It's the same as ChromeOS, people only buy this stuff because of the cheap price of hardware.
        Much of the potential appeal will rest on the price. It is possible that being able to capitalise on game sales the hardware will be rather inexpensive. If to that we can add good design? Also I think many potential customers will be console gamers who wouldn't buy a PC normally. This is a console. Just with PC games. Plus I often thought I'd like a console, a machine built of gaming with a simple and reliable system, but there has never been a single console game that would interest me, so personally I find the idea appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by seba View Post
          Good news more software and games on linux is always a good thing.
          Exactly. What's worth mentioning there are many games with Linux/Windows support only. Furthermore, Linux has much better performance and drivers than OS X, so I bet many of apple gamers will switch to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
            That's the only advantage of SteamOS right now. Developers got an awareness that they can and should port their games, which are already available on MacOsX, to linux too.

Whether the SteamMachines will be a success is to be doubted. Why should someone buy a PC only with a gaming OS, when he can also use Windows with Steam's Big Picture Mode. It's the same as ChromeOS, people only buy this stuff because of the cheap price of hardware.
            Same reason they'll buy PS4's and Xbox One's (both of which are x86's). SteamBox is going to having a living room friendly experience. Whether it's a console disguised as a PC or a PC disguised as a console remains to be seen, but they're aiming to create what is more or less a traditional console, with the big difference being that the design is more open. Will this matter? Perhaps not to the average user. I think it's going to matter more to the game makers.

What I really want to see is if Valve allow allow multiple concurrent sign-ins to your steam account such that someone on the SteamBox can play one game on my account while I play another on my PC using the same account. Perhaps even allow people to buy multiple copies for the same account to allow multiplayer (but perhaps a bit cheaper if the multiple copies are only for your account and can't be gifted).

I've really wanted to see Total War Shogun 2 ported to Linux... I guess this is the next best thing. Creative Assembly also mentioned there's a possibility they might port some of their older titles to Linux (well, SteamOS) should Rome 2 do well. I was already planning on getting Rome 2 once they worked out the bugs, now I'll wait for the Linux port. Shogun 2 was also extremely buggy when it came out (I was an early adopter), it eventually matured into a fantastic game, so I'm willing to give them some time to clean up their user imposed beta test with Rome 2, especially with a linux port coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
              Well, this will officially be the crappiest game ever released for Linux Or maybe only the Linux version will work, forcing players to install Lin
              No. The "Crappiest Game Tittle" belongs to Br?tal Legend. But only because Angry birds hasn't been ported to Linux yet.

I can't wait until Angry Birds is ported to Linux so Phronix can have 10 empty stories containing the phrase "As we reported months ago......" and a link to the 9 other stories about Angry Birds. None of which will have any particularly useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                Same reason they'll buy PS4's and Xbox One's (both of which are x86's). SteamBox is going to having a living room friendly experience. Whether it's a console disguised as a PC or a PC disguised as a console remains to be seen, but they're aiming to create what is more or less a traditional console, with the big difference being that the design is more open. Will this matter? Perhaps not to the average user. I think it's going to matter more to the game makers.

What I really want to see is if Valve allow allow multiple concurrent sign-ins to your steam account such that someone on the SteamBox can play one game on my account while I play another on my PC using the same account. Perhaps even allow people to buy multiple copies for the same account to allow multiplayer (but perhaps a bit cheaper if the multiple copies are only for your account and can't be gifted).

I've really wanted to see Total War Shogun 2 ported to Linux... I guess this is the next best thing. Creative Assembly also mentioned there's a possibility they might port some of their older titles to Linux (well, SteamOS) should Rome 2 do well. I was already planning on getting Rome 2 once they worked out the bugs, now I'll wait for the Linux port. Shogun 2 was also extremely buggy when it came out (I was an early adopter), it eventually matured into a fantastic game, so I'm willing to give them some time to clean up their user imposed beta test with Rome 2, especially with a linux port coming.
                Aren't they porting their entire catalogue of Total War titles? They're jsut starting with Rome II: Total War?
                Hi

Comment

And 0 A.D. is NOTHING like any Total War game. 0 A.D. is a RTS. Total war is a turn-based strategy (buildings, politics and resources) with a tactical combat system for conflict.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    And 0 A.D. is NOTHING like any Total War game. 0 A.D. is a RTS. Total war is a turn-based strategy (buildings, politics and resources) with a tactical combat system for conflict.
                    And a mediocre one in that. I've played Medieval 2 Total War on wine (it works flawlessly BTW with latest wine) and the AI sucks. I often found only the mongol invasion to be a real challenge in the game. The faction AI is too easy to beat even in hardest skill setting. The game shines in multiplayer combat though. I'll get the rome 2 version if it gets released for linux to play LAN battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      I've enjoyed 0ad for nearly a year. Yes, Romans is one of the included civilizations. Be aware that 3 or more player games against the AI will bog down badly (on the CPU) but can still be played.
                      It's no suprise, 0.a.d. is Alpha since 7 years or so. It's just a pet project for some game programmers. I don't know, but to my mind it seems that they will never reach the final release state with this speed...

Comment

Working...
                      X