Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt For Tizen Update Does Qt 5.2 Alpha, Wayland Happy

Phoronix: Qt For Tizen Update Does Qt 5.2 Alpha, Wayland Happy

The open-source project aiming to bring the Qt tool-kit to the mobile Tizen Linux platform has now graduated to being a 1.0 Alpha 4 candidate. With this new development release, Qt for Tizen is powered by the latest Qt 5.2 Alpha build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, raise of hands- anyone outside of Intel and Samsung planning to use Tizen? I'm honestly surprised the project is under the Linux Foundation's umbrella considering its lack of suitability, but I guess it's nice to have some official mobile project throwing money at the organization.

Just not sure what Tizen has that Firefox OS or Mer don't offer. Then again, perhaps I'm merely unaware of what's driving software adoption in other areas of the world. Samsung's endorsement may be all Tizen needs to succeed. And well, a little Qt never hurt anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      So, raise of hands- anyone outside of Intel and Samsung planning to use Tizen?
      I think it is also used a lot for embedded devices. Since Qt also seems have some interest in this area, we may see this upstreamed in the next couple releases.

Comment

So, raise of hands- anyone outside of Intel and Samsung planning to use Tizen? I'm honestly surprised the project is under the Linux Foundation's umbrella considering its lack of suitability, but I guess it's nice to have some official mobile project throwing money at the organization.

Just not sure what Tizen has that Firefox OS or Mer don't offer. Then again, perhaps I'm merely unaware of what's driving software adoption in other areas of the world. Samsung's endorsement may be all Tizen needs to succeed. And well, a little Qt never hurt anyone.
        Tizen is going to run on mobile, IVI and as a desktop/laptop OS. Intel has expressed plans to release Tizen-based x86 ultrabooks, and there are also reportedly some smaller companies planning on using Tizen in their products.

What Tizen offers that FF/Mer don't is that it's going to be more than just a mobile OS. Frankly I don't really care that much about the mobile version of Tizen, but the desktop/laptop version seems very interesting - it's supposed to use Gnome shell on Wayland and rpm packages. In other words, it's very much like a standard Linux distro, it should be able to run all regular Linux software, and it might finally bring desktop Linux to the reach of the average consumers. Tizen laptops in actual consumer electronics stores... laptops that come preloaded with Linux and Wayland. That's an exciting possibility.

Comment

Just not sure what Tizen has that Firefox OS or Mer don't offer.
          Compatibility layer to run android applications as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            Compatibility layer to run android applications as far as I know.
            Sailfish will have that too, although it's not a part of the Mer core.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Qt uses CLA, that hurts freedom and is not fair. That should go away.
              They can't relicense it for commercial proprietary use without holding the copyright, and that is how they make the money to write the foss version.

I would, however, like to see a Digia kickstarter or patreon that releases the entire project under the ISC or something and removes the CLA. Might as well give people the choice.

Comment

CLA not CA. And forcing CLA on anyone who want to contribute is just BAAAD behavior.
                I see the FSF wrote a bot to pimp their memes ad nauseum on Phoronix...

Comment

And who are you? A bot denying bad things that have come of prior assigning. Like when f...ing Oracle took over SUN and turned open source against its contributors.
                  You forgot the part where the contributors just jumped the shipped and worked on forks instead. Because that is what can happen on open source projects, regardless if there is a CA/CLA or not. But of course you don't mention that, it wouldn't fit nice into your argumentation.

Comment

Honton really is the king of phoronix. His ability to turn every thread in a very specific discussion is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X