Thread: Firefox OS 1.1 Improves Performance, Mobile Features

Default Firefox OS 1.1 Improves Performance, Mobile Features

Phoronix: Firefox OS 1.1 Improves Performance, Mobile Features

Mozilla released Firefox OS 1.1 today with better performance, new features, and what the firm says is hundreds of improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4MjA

Gotta' love it. I can't way to see Firefox OS mature, and hopefully get back to some of the original design ideas they had before partnering with Telefonica. My hope is that this is the Android 2.0 of FxOS's journey, at which point Android was quite a bit more limited. As the low-end gets even cheaper and more powerful than it is today, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of what makes the desktop web attractive built into FxOS.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Gotta' love it. I can't way to see Firefox OS mature, and hopefully get back to some of the original design ideas they had before partnering with Telefonica. My hope is that this is the Android 2.0 of FxOS's journey, at which point Android was quite a bit more limited. As the low-end gets even cheaper and more powerful than it is today, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of what makes the desktop web attractive built into FxOS.
    Well I think it is a lot easier to write parts of the OS because it is all HTML5. The difficult part(rendering engine, javascript engine and Linux) you don't have to worry about.

I hope they make it to a lot of people and this platforms segmentation (android, ios, windows phone) ends. They have given great importance to webgl performance so it seems that even games can be ported to html5, and the great thing about this is that porting to firefox for most of it makes your application crossplatform.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I hope they make it to a lot of people and this platforms segmentation (android, ios, windows phone) ends. They have given great importance to webgl performance so it seems that even games can be ported to html5, and the great thing about this is that porting to firefox for most of it makes your application crossplatform.
    Yay for new versions of a crippled fork of android.

html/javascript is no way to build applications. Only if you want to grow old and die while waiting for the first useful function to finish running.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Yay for new versions of a crippled fork of android.

html/javascript is no way to build applications. Only if you want to grow old and die while waiting for the first useful function to finish running.
    2004 called it wants its javascript meme back.