Trillian Chat Client Coming To Linux, Currently In Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Are people still using desktop chat software?

I thought everybody was using WhatsApp these days
    yeah we use it internally at our company, we run our own xmpp server

Comment

I used Trillian a long time ago. Then I tried Pidgin and never went back to Trillian. The I stopped using desktop IM software other than Skype for about 2 years until a few days ago when I installed Pidgin again.

Comment

I thought "free" software with ads went out with Gator

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
        Unfortunaly the free version have some ads, but they are not massive ads, not animated flashs or something, they are very subtle.

I know that linux people will be like, we don't need this, be when its free give it a try and feel the difference
        I still remember having to constantly remove all ad-supported software from old Windows 98/Pentium II machines I helped keep up for a community space back around
        2002-2003. Things like Kazaa were being monetized by bundling with Gator, a notorious piece of adware and spyware. I really thought the death of Gator would be
        the end of this, and if not, the end of MS Windows in any machines I have to deal with would be the end of it.

As far as I am concerned, its not free if it is supported by an adserver, and thus compromises the security of your whole system like Gator did. On the other hand, it's probably
        a good thing that pre-existing Windows software gets ported to Linux, as that's probably necessary if Windows users are ever to break the habit of using a closed/pay operating
        system. Then they can discover all the free and open source software that is truly native to free operating systems, and maybe learn that not having to pay or put up with ads trumps
        a clunkier UI or having to render video on the CPU and not the GPU like some pay video editors can do.

Comment

Does anyone know if trillian's xmpp implementation works with audio/video chat? Can anyone that uses trillian with xmpp comment about their experience with the client? How does it handle group chat?

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
            Hmm. That's funny. I don't know how lightweight it is, but I have both Empathy and Pidgin doing gtalk and facebook chat. Never tried Skype. Is Skype a deal breaker for you?
            Skype chat works on Pidgin via plugin supplied in most distros and available on Pidgin's site.

Trillian has nothing to offer Linux users much like Nero didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Skype chat works on Pidgin via plugin supplied in most distros and available on Pidgin's site.

Trillian has nothing to offer Linux users much like Nero didn't.
              Not exactly. As pointed out in a previous comment they are making this so Linux users can use trillian's decentralized protocol

Comment

They can take their proprietary software and shove it!
                We already have several free software choices for IM, such as Empathy and many others.

With NSA wiretapping communication, you should not trust your communication to be done over proprietary software.

This is a agency that is known to do kidnap people (they call it "extraordinary rendition") and send them to secret prison camps in Egypt for torture.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                  Not exactly. As pointed out in a previous comment they are making this so Linux users can use trillian's decentralized protocol
                  Is the protocol closed source? The client? If the answer is yes to either it has no value, just encrypt you chats and use TOR.

Comment

What is this protocol good for?
                    We already have Jabber / XMPP.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
                      Its the only way i have to use skype, gtalk and facebook chat in a very lightweight and costumizable software for free..
                      Pidgin, and most other libpurple-based software have been able to do that for ages.
                      GoogleTalk and Facebook use XMPP for chat, Google not only helped popularising XMPP but are even behind the Jingle voice&video extensions.
                      (Saddly for Facebook XMPP is only a gateway into their internal system. They *DO* transmist all messages to XMPP, in a standard fashion. But they DO NOT transmit voice to XMPP/Jingle. Instead they rely on some sort of skype plugin).
                      Skype is simply achieved over SkypeAPI

TL;DR skype, gtalk and facebook all work on Pidgin and co. (minus voice for facebook).

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                      Hmm. That's funny. I don't know how lightweight it is, but I have both Empathy and Pidgin doing gtalk and facebook chat. Never tried Skype. Is Skype a deal breaker for you?
                      Although Pidgin doesn't support *native* skype (yet, there are reverse engineering projects underway, as reported on phoronix), Eion Robb has made a plugin using SkypeAPI. This plugin is even included on most distro (and is trivial to add your self).
                      I've been using it for as long as I've been using Skype itself. It just works.

Originally posted by karashata View Post
                      I have reason to suspect that Skype support won't last very long though. From an email I received from the Skype developers when I emailed them about Skype API issues (messages from Skype often not being sent to IM clients accessing Skype via the API),
                      Yes, the dropped message are a known bug in SkypeAPI. Now Eion Robb knows about them, and the purple plugin actually circumvents the bug.
                      (Disclaimer: I've done small patch fixes to said bug circumvention to get it to work with latest Skype from Microsoft)

So unlike Trillian where you might get dropped messages, SkypeAPI on Pidgin (and other purple-based chats) *Just Works*. Even using the latest Skype from Microsoft.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      They can take their proprietary software and shove it!
                      We already have several free software choices for IM, such as Empathy and many others.

With NSA wiretapping communication, you should not trust your communication to be done over proprietary software.
                      Indeed, the only trusty communication is over an encrypted channel where both end-points are trusty and trusting each other.
                      That's not possible if one end-point is a closed-source software (you can throw the best mathematically-proven-to-be-unbreakable encryption at it, it won't matter if the end-point has a backdoor).

Pidgin (and most other purple-based chat software) and Empathy are opensourced.
                      Not only, but you can use the OTR (Off The Record) Standard to encrypt message through Pidgin over any chat system thanks to a plugin from Cypher Punks (available on most distro. Other purple based chats like Adium even have it built-in).

(And if you keep Skype isolated inside a LXC container, you could be more secure against it, too).

Hum, wonder if Jitsi could add a SkypeAPI plug-in complete with LXC isolation and OTR chat encryption ?

Hum... I don't know about this one. Could you point to some resource detailing it?

Comment

Working...
                      X