Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 13.11 Beta Brings New GPU Support To Linux

Phoronix: Catalyst 13.11 Beta Brings New GPU Support To Linux

AMD released their first beta of the Catalyst 13.11 Linux graphics driver today. Details are scarce as to the changes in this new Catalyst Linux Beta, but it brings support for AMD's just-released hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

260/270/280 series are mostly relabeled HD 7000/8000 series.

Only truly new GCN 2.0 card will be R9 290 and R9 290X which launch next week.

So don't bother spending money on the other "new" models. Only change is the driver allows them to use up to 6 monitors through Eyefinity now.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      260/270/280 series are mostly relabeled HD 7000/8000 series.
      Which means that the new cards should work with the radeonsi driver with minimal changes and that is great! The good thing about these new cards is that they provide improved (just a bit I know) performance with a lower price. The R7 260X is really interesting for its price and it comes with 2GB DDR5.
      Last edited by wargames; 08 October 2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The reason why AMD doesn't send anymore video cards to Phoronix is because of the "fine" examples of "journalism" about AMD like the one about AMD and DVI-HDMI adapters with that bombastic title.

Ouch

Comment

So, there wont be a new legacy driver for windows 8.1? I wonder what is going to happen with that?
          Last edited by edoantonioco; 08 October 2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Hm.. I just built it with 3.12 with the original license, so they seem to have fixed the usage of the new GPL only symbols too. Or linux changed it again...

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              The reason why AMD doesn't send anymore video cards to Phoronix is because of the "fine" examples of "journalism" about AMD like the one about AMD and DVI-HDMI adapters with that bombastic title.

Ouch
              That is true, on the other hand, Michael wouldn't have had to do that in the first place if AMD didn't let things slide so much. Michael tells it as it is, and that being said, he's given a lot of positive feedback on the open source radeon drivers, even though they are (arguably) overall worse than catalyst.

I'm sure if AMD's open source drivers improve enough, he'll start writing enough positive feedback that he might start getting free samples again.

Comment

Any changes for older cards hd 5000, 6000 or 7000? It's this same changes as Catalyst 13.10 beta ?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  even though they are (arguably) overall worse than catalyst.
                  Now you're full of it. You're thinking of Nvidia's hatred of Open Source, hence why they have no official open source driver. I found the Open Source Radeon driver to be superior in 2D than the Catalyst; and a lot of Games worked well enough also. Which is more than I can say for Nouveau.

IMO, Valve couldn't of chose a worse partner than Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    even though they are (arguably) overall worse than catalyst.
                    It really depends on the card. My A8-5500/7560D runs better with the free driver: better video playback, VDPAU support, better game experience in TF2/Source games.

Comment

Working...
                    X