Catalyst 13.11 Beta Brings New GPU Support To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    Now you're full of it. You're thinking of Nvidia's hatred of Open Source, hence why they have no official open source driver. I found the Open Source Radeon driver to be superior in 2D than the Catalyst; and a lot of Games worked well enough also. Which is more than I can say for Nouveau.

IMO, Valve couldn't of chose a worse partner than Nvidia.
    I'm full of it? Really? Did you even read my comment? I said catalyst is ARGUABLY better. I didn't say anything like "it is better in every way" because I'm well aware of the slew of disadvantages it has, particularly with 2D gaming. I have 2 HD5750s and have recently ditched catalyst after using it for 2 years, and I don't regret the decision (though, switching has prevented me from playing some games).

Furthermore, I don't see how nvidia's opinions of open source have anything to do with this. Like I really don't see any relation at all.

Comment

kernel 3.11 / 3.12 support?

Finally a driver that properly supports my Radeon HD 8730M / Intel HD 4000 combination! Does anyone of you know where I can find a patch that adds support for kernels > 3.10?
      Usually I install fglrx from debian experimental but the kernel module only compiles up to 3.10 kernels.

Comment

So I did a little bit of testing. The current beta drivers are much better with Source games when you have detail settings down, but pretty horrid when you max them out. In L4D2 I get brutal input lag when maxing out the settings even though my FPS can be above 100fps. There's no input lag on medium settings though. In CS Source it's the same story, except that gl_finish 1 actually puts things right by removing lag. It also sucks 10fps out of my system, though--not as big a deal as the horrid input lag!

Conclusion: the latest beta drivers still suck hardcore when running with high settings in Source games. It would be nice if they allowed one to set gl_finish 1 in L4D2 because without it, it's simply not playable at high settings (by which I mean high detail, not even any AA or high AF settings--though it's just as bad with those). It's NO surprise that Steam is not using AMD cards in their recommended/developer/whatever builds they initially announced.

Comment

Doing some tweaking around, I finally managed to get TF2 to play at decent FPS on my HD6450 with latest beta.

gl_finish 1 and gl_finish 0 seem to have no effect for me. What seems to make a huge difference with regards to input latency is not having fps_max 0 or (default) fps_max 300 set. I set it to fps_max 75 and a lot of my latency and lag goes away.

I also do notice that in regards to TF2, setting -dxlevel 80/81 does seem to change some settings. On a fresh TF2 Linux install, the console reports mat_dxlevel 92/95, which seems to change when setting dxlevel 80/81 (which also does give me some more FPS).

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            Doing some tweaking around, I finally managed to get TF2 to play at decent FPS on my HD6450 with latest beta.

gl_finish 1 and gl_finish 0 seem to have no effect for me. What seems to make a huge difference with regards to input latency is not having fps_max 0 or (default) fps_max 300 set. I set it to fps_max 75 and a lot of my latency and lag goes away.

I also do notice that in regards to TF2, setting -dxlevel 80/81 does seem to change some settings. On a fresh TF2 Linux install, the console reports mat_dxlevel 92/95, which seems to change when setting dxlevel 80/81 (which also does give me some more FPS).
            Interesting, setting fps_max to 75 does help with input lag, but not always. In CS Source smoke grenades cause major lag even when fps_max is set to 75. But with gl_finish, there's NEVER lag: not from smoke, not from lights, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X