No announcement yet.

The First Wayland Benchmarks From Fedora 20 Show Great Promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about pure Wayland instead of XWayland? Because as far as I understand, XWayland will always be slower than X.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
      What about pure Wayland instead of XWayland? Because as far as I understand, XWayland will always be slower than X.
      In theory...actually not. Practice is obviously different than theory, but in theory there's ways to actually get a performance bump out of XWayland because you cut out layers of X's workings.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        I had the same question. What's the projected timeline for GNOME running on pure Wayland (no X whatsoever)?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Performance is doing much worse than XMir, which isn't very promising at all. Performance hit is over 10% in Xonotic in comparison to XMir from a month ago which only had a 5% hit.
          Originally posted by verde View Post
          Thats the (part of) Linux community looking at things.

For Mir it is "regression"
          For Wayland it is "promise"
          Right. Except, you are comparing XMir + composite bypassing against XWayland without composite bypassing.
          Please, now compare with XMir before composite bypassing.
          Also, XMir expected you to run your whole desktop with such a performance hit, while XWayland is only to allow legacy apps to run. The desktop, and preferably everything, is expected to be ran natively. I'm really glad they changed their mind for 13.10, and I hope they do the same for 14.04 (either to go pure Mir, or to stay with X.org; I'd be extra happy if they'd go Wayland, but that would be dreaming too much).

Anyway, I did expected something titled as "promising" to show at least the same performance as pure X.org.

Originally posted by stan View Post
          I had the same question. What's the projected timeline for GNOME running on pure Wayland (no X whatsoever)?
          GNOME is running on pure Wayland. The games are running on XWayland, because there is no port yet.

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          Non-full-screen applications will probably run slower.
          The nice thing of running a rootless X server is that all applications can be safely considered full-screen by X.
          Last edited by mrugiero; 07 October 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Easy to switch to and use, Excellent!

For the "Wayland Tech Preview" in Fedora 20 the developers hope to make it fairly easy to try out Wayland by having it be an experimental option from the log-in screen.
            I am glad this is how it will be. I'll definitely go poking around and submit some bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              Non-full-screen applications will probably run slower.
              Remember that it is rootless: What is the concept of fullscreen for you?

A window without decorations would behave as if it was fullscreen.

Since Wayland compositing should be lighter than X, windowed games should perform great (when performance issues are fixed)

Comment

This has nothing to do with xwayland really. We currently do not try to let games by pass the compositor at all when running under wayland (yet). First you make thinks work and then you make it fast. Currently we are focused on getting stuff to run on wayland, it is a tech preview for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                  Depends on how you defined "running". You can already start a session and use Shell, but there's a bunch of stuff that doesn't work yet - e.g Gtk's Wayland port doesn't yet have working drag/drop, stuff like that.

Comment

Looking good for Wayland. I know someone who's going to wear a monkey suit...

(no, I'm not talking about Shuttleworth, you silly gooses)

Anyway, I'm probably going to have to install Fedora 20 on my test machine when it's released.

Comment

Very promising first results actually. I'm sure it will get only better with time.

Comment

Working...
                      X